USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illinois:Is property left at residence legal to sell???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois:Is property left at residence legal to sell???

I was offered a good deal on a few items that were left behind. My friend purchased a home, and there were items left in the garage. Is it legal for them to sell those items to me, or will that fall under an illegal act? I don't want to be caught in legal actions. State is Illinois.

Re: Illinois:Is property left at residence legal to sell???

Originally posted by UnwisestUser View Post
    I was offered a good deal on a few items that were left behind. My friend purchased a home, and there were items left in the garage. Is it legal for them to sell those items to me, or will that fall under an illegal act? I don't want to be caught in legal actions. State is Illinois.
    The answer here lies in whether or not the items are really abandoned.

Presumably, if your friend purchased the home, then the previous owners or occupants of the home would be the people who owned the potentially abandoned property. Was the home abandoned when your friend took ownership of it? Were the former owners the occupants of the property, or was it occupied by renters or other occupants prior to the sale?

The goal here is to identify the possible owners of the potentially abandoned property, and give them the opportunity to claim it within a reasonable amount of time (say two weeks or so). That means sending a letter to their last known address, and notifying them that if they fail to claim the property that your friend may keep or dispose of the property as he sees fit. Once that time passes without a claim, then your friend can legally keep or sell the property as he wishes.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X