USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our board make us suffering every day, help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our board make us suffering every day, help!

Our building recently added air conditioning units for the hallway and lobby. The air conditioning controlling units were installed in the building's backyard. It now produces snoring like noise and terribly annoying.

This is low frequency noise. Unlike the high frequency noise, which can be reduced by closing the window, this noise becomes even noticeable after the window is closed, and using ear plug can't completely block the noise.

Our building is a high rise building, and also the first floor are gyms, meeting rooms, storage room, etc. Hence, not many families living in the lower floor and backyard. This cause they ignore us. We and a few others who are suffering have been fighting the noise for 3 months already, but our management team and our board even don't want to spent a few minutes to write an email or make a phone call to reply our complain, let alone take any effort reducing the noise.

Like an air conditioner in your home, only when the temperature is far from the setting point, the machine will start run. Thus it is not easy to be caught by New York Department of Environment Protection. Also, DEP really doesn't do an efficient work, and its noise code and noise detector is not designed for low frequency noise, which is usually not so loud, but much more annoying and detrimental than a high frequency noise.

Today is cold. The machine's snoring sound is strong and are humming majority of the time this morning. I start to feel ear pain and headache. I put earplugs on my ear, but the noise are still coming into my ear. My heart even feels uncomfortable now -I don't have any medical record of heart problem, but I feel nervous now.

I am very frustrated and want all the suggestions from lawyers and other persons to stop this brutal invasion.

Re: Our board make us suffering every day, help!

I wish to inform you that you can first give a notice that air conditioner noise is causing health issues to you. If other party refuses then a lawsuit can be filed and court ordered injunction can be obtained that air conditioner must not be used or any air conditioner which causes no sound should be used.

AFF

Comment

Talk to your management team or board in person. Be specific in pointing out where the noise is coming from or when and where it is loudest. Write a letter to your board if a personal meeting is not possible. If your neighbors have also complained about the noise then you could form a group to put pressure on the management team or board to stop the nuisance. Call the police if the noise continues. The police will then investigate the matter. If everything fails and the issue continues then file a lawsuit to resolve it.
      An attorney can help you with this.

Comment

First of all I find it hard to believe a building has A/C units running in New York for the last three months. Heat, yes. Air conditioning? No. That's essentially since the end of December.

If the volume does not exceed the city ordinance for such a thing there is nothing you can do but bear it, or move.

Comment

Try soundproofing curtains.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by habby View Post
            Our building recently added air conditioning units for the hallway and lobby. The air conditioning controlling units were installed in the building's backyard. It now produces snoring like noise and terribly annoying.

This is low frequency noise. Unlike the high frequency noise, which can be reduced by closing the window, this noise becomes even noticeable after the window is closed, and using ear plug can't completely block the noise.

Our building is a high rise building, and also the first floor are gyms, meeting rooms, storage room, etc. Hence, not many families living in the lower floor and backyard. This cause they ignore us. We and a few others who are suffering have been fighting the noise for 3 months already, but our management team and our board even don't want to spent a few minutes to write an email or make a phone call to reply our complain, let alone take any effort reducing the noise.

Like an air conditioner in your home, only when the temperature is far from the setting point, the machine will start run. Thus it is not easy to be caught by New York Department of Environment Protection. Also, DEP really doesn't do an efficient work, and its noise code and noise detector is not designed for low frequency noise, which is usually not so loud, but much more annoying and detrimental than a high frequency noise.

Today is cold. The machine's snoring sound is strong and are humming majority of the time this morning. I start to feel ear pain and headache. I put earplugs on my ear, but the noise are still coming into my ear. My heart even feels uncomfortable now -I don't have any medical record of heart problem, but I feel nervous now.

I am very frustrated and want all the suggestions from lawyers and other persons to stop this brutal invasion.
            I can empathize with you for I know exactly what type of noise and how loud it can be for in my building the air conditioning units are one floor below me and are loud enough to wake the dead. The noise is intermittent as they run for awhile, shut off, and then start up again just as one is falling to sleep.

My remedy is to set up white noise, sometimes music, to muffle them until I can find sound deadening drapes. That is the best suggestion I can come up with, having lived with the racket myself now for 2 year.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
              First of all I find it hard to believe a building has A/C units running in New York for the last three months. Heat, yes. Air conditioning? No. That's essentially since the end of December.

If the volume does not exceed the city ordinance for such a thing there is nothing you can do but bear it, or move.
              Some A/C units are heat pumps which alternately cool and heat. They make the same racket whether they are cooling or heating, turning on and off intermittently and with quite a bit of noise. The noise is not constant, sometimes it sounds like a clanging of metal as they start up, too, before they go into a steady loud din.

Comment

Carpet helps also, FIC (fyi)
                Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X