USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we rent property for an out of state landlord friend using a power of attorney

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we rent property for an out of state landlord friend using a power of attorney

My wife has a friend who lives in New Jersey and owns a home in Florida. The home owner would like my wife to rent the property for him. However my wife does not have a Florida state license that would allow her to do so (i.e., real estate agent/broker, property manager, etc). So the question is whether the home owner could assign a limited power of attorney to my wife allowing her to act on his behalf to rent the home, collect rent, make repairs, etc.

By the way, my question is similar this 2012 thread: http://www.legaljunkies.com/forumlan...ts-behalf.html

Except in this case the one with the power of attorney (POA) was a family relation (an aunt had given POA to her nephew/niece), so I'm not sure if the same affirmative conclusion would apply to non family relations.

Re: Can we rent property for an out of state landlord friend using a power of attorne

Yes, your wife can accept a limited power of attorney to rent and accept rents for the owner.

The license law is to protect the public from unqualified, unlicensed persons setting themselves in business dealing as agents with the public. It is not intended to infringe upon family members or friends acting for each other.

Comment

Re: Can we rent property for an out of state landlord friend using a power of attorne

The answer of your question will depend on the tenants. If the tenants agree with the landlord to submit the rent to you then your wife would not need a Power of Attorney. Otherwise yes. Further, she may also require a real estate license. Hire an attorney to assist you with the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post

Yes, your wife can accept a limited power of attorney to rent and accept rents for the owner.

The license law is to protect the public from unqualified, unlicensed persons setting themselves in business dealing as agents with the public. It is not intended to infringe upon family members or friends acting for each other.
        Yeah I think that is basically right if you do it on a one off basis. You cant do that 20 times of course.

Comment

I am dong the same right now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X