Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My landlord is threatening to kick us out of our rental home

Our property manager promised to do some repairs on the house we are renting. After we had a signed contract and inquiring about the repairs, the property manager said it doesn't matter what he promises, the owner has to so ok. I posted a buyer beware about the property manager and the owner called the next night and has given us a lease termination due to the negative review of the property manager, who happens to be the owners brother.

Here is my question. We have paid our rent and have 3 months remaining on our rental contract, can they legally terminate our lease? We are paying our rent and we aren't destroying the house. We are new to Texas and the owner says by Texas state law, he can terminate the contract if he says he is going to move into the house.

Re: My landlord is threatening to kick us out of our rental home

Let him know you are moving when the lease is up and give notice according to the terms of your lease to be gone at the time your lease is up. By the time he goes through a paper chase to try an do an unlawful eviction and it is dismissed etc... the 3 months will be up anyway.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I wish to inform you that it is the laws of Texas and the termination clause of your lease agreement which will have jurisdiction in this matter. You may inform the landlord that your lease agreement may not be terminated early because you are paying the rent in a timely manner and following all the terms of the lease. On the other hand it is the property manager who has made false promises which he is not following now. If the matter goes to Court, you may pray to the Court to grant you an injunction from an early termination of the contract. You may request the Court to order that Costs and damages for property manager not fulfilling promises made may be awarded to you. You may submit all evidence to support your view point in the Court. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Comment

If you have a written lease he can't make you leave unless your lease terms allow it. Generally, as long as you have not violated your lease and are up to date on your monthly rent payments, the landlord cannot force you to give up your lease early. Further, he cannot evict you for requesting necessary repairs or in retaliation for reporting any violations. Therefore, if the landlord wants an early end to your lease, he has to pay compensation for it. Hire an attorney immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by jandtneil View Post
          Our property manager promised to do some repairs on the house we are renting. After we had a signed contract and inquiring about the repairs, the property manager said it doesn't matter what he promises, the owner has to so ok. I posted a buyer beware about the property manager and the owner called the next night and has given us a lease termination due to the negative review of the property manager, who happens to be the owners brother.

Here is my question. We have paid our rent and have 3 months remaining on our rental contract, can they legally terminate our lease? We are paying our rent and we aren't destroying the house. We are new to Texas and the owner says by Texas state law, he can terminate the contract if he says he is going to move into the house.
          As long as you abided by the terms of the lease, he cannot break it. Should he make any move to evict you, you may counterclaim for the promised repairs, especially if they affect habitability. That should settle the issue.

Unless your lease has "negative review of the property manager" clause in it, you should be able to live out your lease.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X