Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant stole agreement and left without proper notice

We were renting out a room in our home for $500 a month. We are located in Texas. We had a tenant in the room with a singed lease agreement stipulating a month to month term and that they would provide 30 days notice should they chose to live elsewhere.

The Tenant decided while I was out of town on 7/25/14 to send someone else to give 5 days notice to my husband (landlord) while she packed her things and left.

My husband tried to explain what she was doing was against her lease but she proceeded to pack her things and leave and after a long conversation verbally stating she would pay half ($250) so we would at least have 2 weeks to find someone to move in.

This tenant then a few days later via text refused to pay anything with her reasoning being since she has not been there in over a month and will not be there for the month then she will not pay. We advised she signed a lease agreement and what that lease agreement stated. She then went on to state she never signed an agreement. We went to check our files (which she knew where they were) and the agreement was gone. We believe she took it prior to giving notice on 7/25. She was also provided a copy of agreement to provide to her probation officer as proof of residency

We have also realized she has stolen furniture from the semi furnished room as well and is refusing to return.

A little back story as we are unsure if this will help. This tenant was on probation for a dui charge. She recently broke probation by drinking and was arrested. She was released on bail. I am unsure if this stops probation or not while she waits for court.

My question is does anyone know anything about probation and if a tenant has to stay current with there agreement?

This tenant also violated probation multiple times while living here by drinking and purchasing alcohol ( I have proof)

Should I contact her probation officer and advise of violations?
    Would I need to testify if I did?
    Do I have a case given the back story to sue for unpaid rent as well as stolen property even if she stole the lease agreement?

Please let me know what you all think.
    Thank you!

Re: Tenant stole agreement and left without proper notice

She owes you one months rent by state law. You can attempt to recover that and value for items stolen. You should have filed a police report for the stolen items.

TEX PR. CODE ANN. 91.001 : Texas Statutes - Section 91.001: NOTICE FOR TERMINATING CERTAIN TENANCIES
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

You should also have notified her PO the first time she broke probation. Now it's just sour grapes.

Comment

Originally posted by bama View Post
        We were renting out a room in our home for $500 a month. We are located in Texas. We had a tenant in the room with a singed lease agreement stipulating a month to month term and that they would provide 30 days notice should they chose to live elsewhere.

The Tenant decided while I was out of town on 7/25/14 to send someone else to give 5 days notice to my husband (landlord) while she packed her things and left.

My husband tried to explain what she was doing was against her lease but she proceeded to pack her things and leave and after a long conversation verbally stating she would pay half ($250) so we would at least have 2 weeks to find someone to move in.

This tenant then a few days later via text refused to pay anything with her reasoning being since she has not been there in over a month and will not be there for the month then she will not pay. We advised she signed a lease agreement and what that lease agreement stated. She then went on to state she never signed an agreement. We went to check our files (which she knew where they were) and the agreement was gone. We believe she took it prior to giving notice on 7/25. She was also provided a copy of agreement to provide to her probation officer as proof of residency

We have also realized she has stolen furniture from the semi furnished room as well and is refusing to return.

A little back story as we are unsure if this will help. This tenant was on probation for a dui charge. She recently broke probation by drinking and was arrested. She was released on bail. I am unsure if this stops probation or not while she waits for court.

My question is does anyone know anything about probation and if a tenant has to stay current with there agreement?

This tenant also violated probation multiple times while living here by drinking and purchasing alcohol ( I have proof)

Should I contact her probation officer and advise of violations?
        Would I need to testify if I did?
        Do I have a case given the back story to sue for unpaid rent as well as stolen property even if she stole the lease agreement?

Please let me know what you all think.
        Thank you!
        You are lucky she is out of your house and hair. Since she has been arrested for violating probation, it is more than likely she will be housed next at government expense.

You are free to contact the prosecutor(DA) and advise of the number of times she has violated the terms of her probation, that you have proof of her purchase of alcohol.

She would owe you for the month or any portion thereof that she lived in your house. Don't count on getting it, though. As to 'stolen property', if it's the lease you are referring to, what monetary value could you put on it?

Some times it's best just to thank the heavens or Him who resides there for seeing to it that you got a potential nightmare tenant out of your property and hair so quickly -- before something worse happened. And then find a suitable, proper person to rent to for next time. With good references.

Comment

"We have also realized she has stolen furniture from the semi furnished room as well and is refusing to return".

I would file a police report for the stolen furniture.

Comment

Originally posted by Lill View Post
            "We have also realized she has stolen furniture from the semi furnished room as well and is refusing to return".

I would file a police report for the stolen furniture.
            Sounds like she earned another charge against her. By all means, report the theft.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X