Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas landlord water bill question

I rent out 3 individual mobile homes, each with it's own water meter. My tenant has left all the faucets running in his unit to run up the meter and the city has now shut off his service. The man that came out told me that I would be responsible for the bill.

My question is this: Since the city accepted a deposit directly from this tenant and the meter is in his name, can they legally charge me for the bill?

Re: Texas landlord water bill question

I wish to inform you that you may have to pay water bill. In this generally water authorities stop water to premises until bill is not paid and thus compel person for payment. You may not be personally liable for water bill but in order to have water services this bill may be required to be cleared. You may however recover amount paid for water service from your tenant. You may file action in small claims court.

AFF

Comment

It will depend on your lease agreement. Check the rental/lease agreement to see who's responsible. Generally, the tenant is responsible for paying water charges. If he refuses to make the payment then you should make the payment. In such circumstances, you must write a demand letter to the tenant and ask him to reimburse you for the increased water bill. If he fails to reimburse then you can sue in small claims court. However, if the water bill is in the tenant’s name but the lease provides that the landlord will pay for water, then you are responsible. Hire an attorney to assist you.

Comment

As a practical issue you will probably need to pay it to re-rent the property. However if your lease specifies the tenant pays you can then take him to small claims court.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X