• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend In Court
    replied
    Re: WA State: Lease agreement provision for early termination by landlord

Originally posted by Stilgar View Post
    My father is leaving soon for long-term assignment overseas and I'm going to live in his house and rent out one or two rooms.

I have a lease agreement I'm modifying slightly, and my dad wants a provision in the lease that if he returns from his assignment early, we can terminate the lease and compensate our tenants with two months rent.

I want to make sure this is something we can legally do. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
    What your father proposes seems reasonable. Especially since it is an owner which Washington law gives more latitude to returning to occupy their property.

My recommendation is that,first, Washington State lease forms be used and secondly that any leases be six month leases with holdover provision meaning that the person can continue on month to month after the expiration of the first six months. As long as you explain to the prospective tenants at the onset the situation -- that the place may be available for an unspesified period of time -- that the owner may return in a year (maybe longer, who knows?),you should have no problems.

As to the two months rent, if the individuals are on month to month, that is unnecessary. Only that they be given 30 days' notice. That would be a cost saving to him.

Leave a comment:

• AFFA
    replied
    Re: WA State: Lease agreement provision for early termination by landlord

I wish to inform you that in the lease agreement you may insert a termination clause wherein both parties can terminate the lease with 30 days notice and by compensating the other party with two months rent. The lease agreement even when you provide the template has to be equally fair to both parties.

AFF

Leave a comment:

• WA State: Lease agreement provision for early termination by landlord

My father is leaving soon for long-term assignment overseas and I'm going to live in his house and rent out one or two rooms.

I have a lease agreement I'm modifying slightly, and my dad wants a provision in the lease that if he returns from his assignment early, we can terminate the lease and compensate our tenants with two months rent.

I want to make sure this is something we can legally do. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X