Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Boyfriend Still lives in unit even though MY lease ended

My name is only on the lease. My now ex boyfriend was living with me. We broke up amd I moved out on October 31st. The property manager and I had an agreement about me moving out. Well to my surprise on Nov 1st, my ex-boyfriend is still living there and refuse to leave. I explained this to the property manager and he said he will evict me and it will go on my record for 10 years. I asked the police for assistance, they suggested that the property manager should charge my ex only for burglary and trespassing? The property manager ignored the advice and wants to proceed with the eviction. What can I do to avoid the eviction process?

Re: Ex-Boyfriend Still lives in unit even though MY lease ended

I wish to inform you that when you have left of at that time you had handed over property possession to manager then your tenancy has come to an end and thus you may not be liable as to any person staying after end of your tenancy. In this if you have given keys of premises or done similar act then you may claim end of tenancy. As you had meeting with property manager thus you may argue in court that your tenancy had ended and thus any suit against you must be dismissed and any action by manager allowing your ex boyfriend to remain in premises is thus matter between them and you should are not involved. If you win the case then there may not be any judgment against you. If you have not given possession to manager or brought your lease to an end then your lease is existing and as you have possession thus you may take steps for eviction of your ex boyfriend and evict him.

AFF

Comment

Offer to continue paying the rent, while you evict your boyfriend as you should have initially done. You should confirm with a lawyer this meets local law.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimhudson1215 View Post
        My name is only on the lease. My now ex boyfriend was living with me. We broke up amd I moved out on October 31st. The property manager and I had an agreement about me moving out. Well to my surprise on Nov 1st, my ex-boyfriend is still living there and refuse to leave. I explained this to the property manager and he said he will evict me and it will go on my record for 10 years. I asked the police for assistance, they suggested that the property manager should charge my ex only for burglary and trespassing? The property manager ignored the advice and wants to proceed with the eviction. What can I do to avoid the eviction process?
        Did you get any kind of written agrteement from the manager about your moving out?

No doubt the boyfriend will be evicted, but only if you can get the landlord to agree not to name you in the case can you avoid having an eviction on your record. Or, the other alternative is to pay November rent -- and evict the boyfriend yourself.

Comment

If a tenant fails to move out after giving or receiving a proper notice ending the tenancy, the landlord may evict the tenant. The landlord must go to court to evict any "holdover" tenant If a tenant violates one or more of the lease clauses, landlord may be able to evict him. However, the lease clause must be legal under your state and local laws.. Consult with an attorney.

Comment

Never leave an ex in the premises assuming they will do the right thing and leave.
            They have every inventive to to try to mess you up as well!

Been there believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post

Did you get any kind of written agrteement from the manager about your moving out?

No doubt the boyfriend will be evicted, but only if you can get the landlord to agree not to name you in the case can you avoid having an eviction on your record. Or, the other alternative is to pay November rent -- and evict the boyfriend yourself.
              I like that idea!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X