USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want out of my lease (and my deposit back)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want out of my lease (and my deposit back)

I am currently living in an apartment that allows one parking spot per tentant which is fine but other tentants seem to park in a no parking out back ever day and I did one time and the company that owns the building gave me a written warning on my car which is fine but there was another car right next to me that did not recieve the same warning. I had called to let them know that was completely unfair and they never did anything about it and that same car has been parked in that same spot for 3 days now and nothing has happened! I'm starting to believe that this may be because of my race or age. When I had brought that to there attention the next day they said "we dont have to do anything that you tell us to do!" I do have a year lease with them and no longer want to be a tentant at this building and if I terminate my lease I will not get back my 815 dollar deposit I put down is there anything I can do to get it back and leave? There are plenty more things they have done to me since I've been living there thats just one example that just recently happened.

Re: I want out of my lease (and my deposit back)

I wish to inform you that you may serve a written complaint against the parked car. If the management does not resolve the matter then you may file a lawsuit and request the court to order its removal. You may claim costs. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. Regarding termination of your fixed term lease, you may have to pay damages and costs on account of breach of contract. However, it is the obligation of the landlord to mitigate his damages by bringing in a new tenant as soon as possible.

AFF

Comment

You have not indicated your state or the term left on your lease. The $815 may be the least of your worries. You could be on the hook for the rent for the remainder of your lease, you will have a hard time proving that even IF they discriminated that it had an actual impact on your ability to reside there.

Lisa1 05:45 PM Today
      I am currently living in an apartment that allows one parking spot per tentant which is fine but other tentants seem to park in a no parking out back ever day and I did one time and the company that owns the building gave me a written warning on my car which is fine but there was another car right next to me that did not recieve the same warning. I had called to let them know that was completely unfair and they never did anything about it and that same car has been parked in that same spot for 3 days now and nothing has happened! I'm starting to believe that this may be because of my race or age. When I had brought that to there attention the next day they said "we dont have to do anything that you tell us to do!" I do have a year lease with them and no longer want to be a tentant at this building and if I terminate my lease I will not get back my 815 dollar deposit I put down is there anything I can do to get it back and leave? There are plenty more things they have done to me since I've been living there thats just one example that just recently happened.

Comment

I live in Rhode Islanda and it is a one year term ending in May

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa1
          You want to end your tenancy because you aren't being allowed to park in a clearly-identified "no-parking" space? Really?

Just because someone else's vehicle is parked there doesn't give you the right to park there. They don't have treat everyone fairly. In fact, the fact that you suddenly brought up the race/age card with no sound basis only seems to highlight how you try to twist the situation to make it sound like you are somehow being singled out.

Want to get out of your lease? Go ahead and leave. But you're right - you'll end up losing your deposit from the rent loss the management will experience while trying to find a new tenant to replace you. No way around that.
          "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
          "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
          "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Actually this is not why I want to leave. This was just one incident that further prooved the clear discrimination from the proprietors. And I'm not "twisting the situation" to make it seem like I am being singled out. The fact that I am the only one of my ethnicity in the entire building and the only one receiving poor treatment is making it seem like I am indeed being singled out. Clearly I know I am going to have some struggles ending my lease which is why I posted for help, not your unneccessary bullying. It does not make you seem smart, it just makes you seem like a jerk who is unwilling to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa1 View Post
              Actually this is not why I want to leave. This was just one incident that further prooved the clear discrimination from the proprietors. And I'm not "twisting the situation" to make it seem like I am being singled out. The fact that I am the only one of my ethnicity in the entire building and the only one receiving poor treatment is making it seem like I am indeed being singled out. Clearly I know I am going to have some struggles ending my lease which is why I posted for help, not your unneccessary bullying. It does not make you seem smart, it just makes you seem like a jerk who is unwilling to help.
              The answers I provided are appropriate, given the limited amount of information which you provided.

Unless you can be more specific about these alleged abuses, and the abuse rises to the level of constructive eviction, you're out of luck.

Funny how you've decided to go on the defensive, and start insulting me via private messaging. Just so others are aware of how you respond when you're facing a difficult situation:

Sep 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM
              Subject: you bafoon

stop breathing crazy cat man
              Note that people like you who insult and try to taunt the moderators get their posting privileges revoked.

Enjoy your new apartment.

p.s. Don't keep creating new accounts to troll the mods, either.
              "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
              "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
              "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Check your lease carefully and look for any wording relating to parking issues. The landlord or rental association may number parking spots and give a specific number to each tenant. In this case, you have every legal right to expect access to that parking spot and for others not to park there. Seek advice from an attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa1 View Post
                  I live in Rhode Islanda and it is a one year term ending in May
                  In RI the LL has a duty to try and re-rent, but he doesn't have to necessarily make your unit the priority to rent. So you could wind up paying rent for 8 months you don't live there.

If your behavior here is any indication, they may just be happy to have you gone.

Comment

Reported Post...

Rude and fighting
                    harassment
                    Please everyone, follow our forum rules and avoid overall rude behavior, defamatory comments, threatening other members and name calling.

Thanks!

Comment

Perhaps you are being singled out because you are the only immature whiner in the building. That is not a protected class.
                      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X