Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for additional cleaning

Me and five friends spent six weeks in a small, one floor apartment in Castellane, France for university work. The owner of the property has charged us 200 euros from our 300 euros deposit - 130 for additional hours spent cleaning and 70 euros for replacing broken things. We did break a set of wine glasses but nothing else. In the contract he had already charged us for cleaning the apartment after we left. Can he legally charge this additional 130 euros despite already charging - a more than substantial amount - for cleaning regardless of the condition of the apartment? Apologies if this should be in consumer goods section.

Re: Charging for additional cleaning

I wish to inform you that if cleaning charges of apartment were already charged then you cannot be again charged for such a thing. You can send a demand letter to landlord demanding amount due to you because of incorrect deduction by landlord. If landlord refuses then a lawsuit may be filed to claim amount due to you.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by castellane View Post
      Me and five friends spent six weeks in a small, one floor apartment in Castellane, France for university work. The owner of the property has charged us 200 euros from our 300 euros deposit - 130 for additional hours spent cleaning and 70 euros for replacing broken things. We did break a set of wine glasses but nothing else. In the contract he had already charged us for cleaning the apartment after we left. Can he legally charge this additional 130 euros despite already charging - a more than substantial amount - for cleaning regardless of the condition of the apartment? Apologies if this should be in consumer goods section.
      If your contract already specified an amount for cleaning, that should be all they could charge you for that purpose. However, if a deeper cleaning was required due to excessive dirt and messes left behind, they might be able to argue the additional costs were necessary.

For instance, the cleaning costs they give in the contract might include an overall light cleaning, and assumes that the tenants will make a reasonable effort to clean up behind themselves. If there were carpets, the light cleaning might include just a vacuum and spot clean. If you and your fellow tenants left behind stains that required a carpet cleaning service to be hired, that would be an extra expense. If you and your fellow tenants smoked in the unit, that might require additional cleaning efforts to get out the residual cigarette smoke and odor from carpets, upholstery, and drapery.

You should ask for documentation of what the additional cleaning costs were supposed to cover. If they cannot provide sufficient answers or documentation, you may wish to consider suing the owner to recover the overcharged amount.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Thanks for your helpful responses. I have sent a polite demand letter stating with reasons the money I feel he is obliged to send.

The floor was stone and had no stubborn stains left on it, it will have required mopping however I assume that when pre-charging in excess of 150 euros for cleaning a 3-room apartment mopping the floor is included.

Comment

Developments: I sent a demand letter and also a request for a full receipt, but have not even received a reply. I have the email as evidence that I sent these and now think I need to file a lawsuit to claim this money.

As he is living in France and the stay was in France should I operate through the small claims court UK or must I go through the French legal system?

Also should I send him another email to inform him I am doing this or should I let the court handle it?

Comment

Send the letter by certified mail with a return receipt. Give the landlord a time frame to respond. Inform the landlord that if he does not respond then you will file suit wherein the landlord will be responsible for all legal fees and costs in addition to the refund of the deposit. If there’s no response from the landlord by the time specified in the letter then you can file a claim with the court. Retain an experienced attorney to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X