Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non resident property Issue

STATE FLORIDA: I recently let a friend move in with me because she was homeless with 2 kids and no where to go, I lost my employment and am unable to pay rent. She did not make any payment to any utilities or rent while living here. I gave her notice (spoken) on May 1st when i lost my job that she needed to find a place to go. She is not on the lease and papers have been signed July 5th by me stating I would have everything out of the place and move out. She has been gone for a month yet her things are still here. She is now threatening me stating I cant do anything with her things. I have given her ample opportunity to get her things and she still posses one of my keys to my place. I extended my hand to help a friend in need and now it is backfiring and stabbing me in the back. I have facebook messages and text messages with her agreeing to get her things out June1st and yet it is July 8th and still nothing. i have to vacate the premises before July 30th, what can i do in my power? She is not on the lease and has not been here for over a month now. When I move my things am I able to do anything with her things? IE leave outside, trash, etc? If anyone can help me with this issue it would be very beneficial.

Thank you

Re: Non resident property Issue

State law determines what your next step is.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

That is my problem because i am not sure of what State law is, regardless i have to move out by July 30th and have residence cleaned out. Am I breaking the law with removing her things eventhough I have told her since me losing my job on May 1st that she needs to get her things? Also she has not lived here for over a month now and this is not a storage unit, he identification does not say this is her home either ;/

Comment

Originally posted by bdoney101 View Post
        That is my problem because i am not sure of what State law is, regardless i have to move out by July 30th and have residence cleaned out. Am I breaking the law with removing her things eventhough I have told her since me losing my job on May 1st that she needs to get her things? Also she has not lived here for over a month now and this is not a storage unit, he identification does not say this is her home either ;/
        Perhaps if you shared with us the state in which this is occurring, we can help you out with eviction procedures and dealing with abandoned property left behind
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Sorry Florida is the state.

Comment

Sorry Florida is the state.
            Under Florida Statute § 715.104, the landlord must give written notice to the tenant or any person he or she reasonably believes to be the owner of the property. The notice must describe the property, must advise the person that reasonable costs of storage may be charged, must state where the property can be claimed, and must set out the date before which the property must be claimed.

If the tenant or owner of the property responds within the date specified and pays the reasonable costs of storage, the landlord must release the property to that person. However, if no one claims the property before the date specified, and the landlord believes that the resale value of the property will be less than $500, he or she may retain it for his or her own use, pursuant to Florida Statute § 715.109. Otherwise, the property must be sold at public sale by competitive bidding.

See this site for further information, and for a sample notice you can use to notify the former tenant about their property before disposing of it:
            http://www.propertymanagerpages.com/...20PROPERTY.pdf

(Note that the aforementioned pages are provided for reference only. WORLD Law Direct does not endorse the writer of the information, nor vouch for the accuracy of said information.)
            "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Thank you for this information, however the landlord has no information that anyone besides myself was living in this residence, I let her move in to help her out from February to May when she left her things here. She never made any payments being she was jobless and had no way to. I extended my hand to help her and her kids during this troublesome time for her. Being that i lost my job I was unable to help her any-longer and I told her i would have to move and she would have to find somewhere else to go. She has not been here for some time and I have been keeping conversations with her via FACEBOOK. This will be CIVIL suit correct? She would have to sue me thereafter? I have no choice but to move and in doing so remove her things regardless of her actions. I am not the landlord and she was never on the Lease. I hope you understand the predicament I am in.

Comment

Thank you for this information, however the landlord has no information that anyone besides myself was living in this residence, I let her move in to help her out from February to May when she left her things here. She never made any payments being she was jobless and had no way to. I extended my hand to help her and her kids during this troublesome time for her. Being that i lost my job I was unable to help her any-longer and I told her i would have to move and she would have to find somewhere else to go. She has not been here for some time and I have been keeping conversations with her via FACEBOOK. This will be CIVIL suit correct? She would have to sue me thereafter? I have no choice but to move and in doing so remove her things regardless of her actions. I am not the landlord and she was never on the Lease. I hope you understand the predicament I am in.
                You were subletting to this person, which makes you their LL. Act accordingly.

Comment

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X