Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged Shower Plumbing

I would like to ask in order to clarify something that my husband mentioned about our landlord . Incidentally, our bathroom shower is clogged probably for a number of reasons. The conversation started about us the renter should be grateful that the owner hasn't raised the rent yet for the many years that were renting but faithfully paying the rent. My husband mentioned while he's trying to fix the clog that we should be careful of informing the landlord about the problem because they might increase the rent because we're asking to have it fixed.

The question is can the landlord increase the rent due to regular wear and tear?...... Please help!

Lark Ellen Renter

Re: Clogged Shower Plumbing

Why don't you clean the debris from the drain yourself. It is usually hair and soap.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

No but they can possibly raise the rates depending if you're under a written lease or not and based on local laws. They don't really need a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by rfhamop View Post
        I would like to ask in order to clarify something that my husband mentioned about our landlord . Incidentally, our bathroom shower is clogged probably for a number of reasons. The conversation started about us the renter should be grateful that the owner hasn't raised the rent yet for the many years that were renting but faithfully paying the rent. My husband mentioned while he's trying to fix the clog that we should be careful of informing the landlord about the problem because they might increase the rent because we're asking to have it fixed.

The question is can the landlord increase the rent due to regular wear and tear?...... Please help!

Lark Ellen Renter
        Sure they can. If you are residing as month-to-month tenants, and the cost of maintenance increases, you bet the LL can increase the rent. In fact, that's one reason that LLs raise rental rates - in order to keep up with rising costs to maintain the property, including regular repairs, insurance, property taxes, etc.

If you are living under a fixed-term lease, they can't raise the rent until the current term expires - and even then, they must provide proper legal notice before doing so.
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

I’m going to have to agree with the rest on this. It's not really so much of a plumbing issue and clogs aren't generally emergency type situations where the landlord HAS to get involved, but generally when you're under a lease, the landlord has the right to increase the rent as and when he/she wants dependent on the nature of the contract that you signed initially when you moved in. Listen to Sandy Clause. Her comment pretty much sums it up. You may want to just double check exactly what the Ts and Cs are in your contract before the next time it's due for renewal just to be sure.

Comment

I’m going to have to agree with the rest on this. It's not really so much of a plumbing issue and clogs aren't generally emergency type situations where the landlord HAS to get involved, but generally when you're under a lease, the landlord has the right to increase the rent as and when he/she wants dependent on the nature of the contract that you signed initially when you moved in. Listen to Sandy Clause. Her comment pretty much sums it up. You may want to just double check exactly what the Ts and Cs are in your contract before the next time it's due for renewal just to be sure.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X