Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord Offered Incentive to Move Out, Then Changed His Mind

I'm having some trouble with my landlord, and I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. I live in Illinois.

He has had the place up for sale since February, and a couple weeks ago, he let us know that there was a buyer on the property and the new owner would like to live in the apartment I'm living in now. Since our lease is up July 30, he said he would have to move out by then. He also said if we chose to move out early, he would prorate the rent accordingly.

Then, the next day, he came back to us with an offer from the new owner for $600 a piece to my roommate and myself, plus our security deposit back (provided there are no damages to the place), and offered not to charge us for the utilities in June, roughly $75 a piece, if we were able to move out by July 4. I told him his offer sounded reasonable, but we needed time to find a new place before we accepted.

After a week or so of searching, we found a place we liked, and submitted the application for it, and when we told him we wanted to take him up on the offer, he started to backtrack and told us not to commit to anything until the sale finalizes. Sure enough, yesterday the financing for the buyer fell through, and NOW he's telling us that our utilities are past due, even though we didn't pay the utilities because he offered not to charge us for them if we moved out early.

Now, we're stuck, because we don't know yet if we have been accepted at the new place yet, and if we are, we needed that incentive money to put down the security deposit.

Re: Landlord Offered Incentive to Move Out, Then Changed His Mind

I wish to inform you that as there was offer by landlord which has been accepted by you thus now if your landlord does not provide you agreed amount or benefits as per agreement then he may be held liable for breach of agreement. You may have the burden to prove that your landlord had breached agreement. You can first give your notice to your landlord that he must comply with agreement and if landlord does not agree then you can file a lawsuit for recovery of money.

AFF

Comment

Re: Landlord Offered Incentive to Move Out, Then Changed His Mind

Did you get anything in writing???

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X