X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner won't move belongings out of my rental house

Hello,

I signed a 5-year lease on a house and the owner just passed away. A lot of her belongings are still in my garage and in one of our bedrooms. What rights to I have to get her stuff removed from the premises, and how do I keep peace with the trustees of the estate?

Duke

Re: Owner won't move belongings out of my rental house

What steps have you taken so far? The first step would be to call or write the trustees.

Comment

Thanks for your response. We have contacted the owner several times and they keep putting us off. I'm wondering what rights we have, i.e., withholding rent, filing suit, etc.

Comment

The lease passes to the landlord's estate, which passes it to the successors. If the property is professionally managed, the tenant will continue to pay rent to the manager. If not, the tenant continues to pay to the landlord's estate. In some states, the state requires the tenant's security deposit to pass to the successor or to be returned to the tenant. Approach an attorney.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

We ARE dealing with the trustees of the estate. The trustees won't remove the former landladies belongings.

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofearl View Post
            Hello,

I signed a 5-year lease on a house and the owner just passed away. A lot of her belongings are still in my garage and in one of our bedrooms. What rights to I have to get her stuff removed from the premises, and how do I keep peace with the trustees of the estate?

Duke
            The decent thing to do is notify the trustee of the estate of the belongings in the garage -- a listing of each and every item. The trustee is obligated to make an inventory of the estate and where the items are, anyway.

Give a reasonable period of time, e.g. 30 days to remove with the option the trustee can choose for you to place it in storage and send them the key and unit number. The trustee is also obligated not to allow waste of the decedent's estate, too. This way they can bill the estate for the storage,it is an expense against the estate and the property is out of your hair and house.

Make copies of what you send the trustee and see they are filed in the probate file the trustee is administering.

If the situation were reversed, it was you who passed and had your belongings still in a house you leased out, certainly you would appreciate that consideration from the lessor.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X