Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in the Ceiling, Exposed and Soaking Wet Carpet, Mildew

South Carolina: This past Saturday, my apartment incurred water damage from the apartment above me, due to the water pump on their dishwasher breaking. It flooded the kitchen floor and soaked about 15 feet of carpet from the kitchen to one of the bedrooms. Maintenance came and vacuumed some of the water out of the carpet and then pulled up a section of the carpet to place a fan under it to blow it dry. They told me that there was a hole in the ceiling and that the carpet would take until Monday to dry. They said that they would be back on Monday to check on it.

No one showed up on Monday. The carpet is still exposed so that my 8 year old can stab himself in the foot with the staples. The entire apartment stinks of mildew and there is still a soaking wet spot in the bedroom that makes a squishing noise when you step on it. I called today (Tuesday) to inform them that the carpet is still wet, the place smells of mildew, and that no one ever showed up when they said they would. They told me that someone would come today, but of course they never showed up.

I'm wondering what should be my next steps here? I'm not sure if it is serious enough yet for me to be able to call the health department/ send the 14 day certified letter, but I want to be prepared and prompt in dealing with this situation as this company seems to be acting in a very negligent fashion.

Thanks to any responses.

Re: Hole in the Ceiling, Exposed and Soaking Wet Carpet, Mildew

It appears they may be giving the carpet a chance to dry before assessing the damage. Your 8 year old is not smart enough to understand not to step on them? 150 years ago an 8 year old would spend their days hunting and fishing for food.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

My 8 year old is autistic. Kind of hard for him to understand a lot of things. If they were "giving the carpet a chance to dry before assessing the damage", why wouldn't they have just said that? Why lie and say, "We'll be back on Monday" or "I'll send someone over today"? It would seem pretty simple for them to have just said that they were waiting for whatever such reason. Are you saying that the maintenance people have bad communication skills?

Also, the part of the carpet that the fans are hitting is already dry. The problem is the soaking wet spot in the bedroom that has not had any of the water sucked out of it, nor are the fans hitting it. It has been wet for 4 days, is probably a big cause of the mildew smell, and I'm afraid that if left for too long it can begin to grow mold.

Comment

I wish to inform you that you may give a written notice to the landlord clearly bringing out the negligence of the maintenance and the damage caused by the hole in the ceiling. You may inform the landlord about your child being autistic. You may give the landlord one day to resolve the matter after which you may inform the health department. You could also file a lawsuit in the Small Claims Court seeking damages and costs. You may take photographs and keep a log of events to show to the Court. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Comment

Not to be Capt. Obvious, but why don't you move the fans?

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Are you serious right now? I would have to lift up the rugs and tear the rug up even more to be able to move the fan into the other room to hit that spot. The carpet is all one piece by the way with the fan blowing underneath the carpet to hit the pads, as I stated in the original post. That is completely not my job. If I took it upon myself to do something that I have absolutely no experience doing with equipment that doesn't even belong to me, then they can turn around and claim that I damaged something in doing so. I'm not messing with anything that I have no right to mess with. I did my part in informing them of everything that was wrong with apartment so that their supposed "experts" can handle it. Are you a troll?

Comment

Well, I'm done trying to help. Why don't you see if you can alienate everyone else also.

Comment

Originally posted by criss7562 View Post
                South Carolina: This past Saturday, my apartment incurred water damage from the apartment above me, due to the water pump on their dishwasher breaking. It flooded the kitchen floor and soaked about 15 feet of carpet from the kitchen to one of the bedrooms. Maintenance came and vacuumed some of the water out of the carpet and then pulled up a section of the carpet to place a fan under it to blow it dry. They told me that there was a hole in the ceiling and that the carpet would take until Monday to dry. They said that they would be back on Monday to check on it.

No one showed up on Monday. The carpet is still exposed so that my 8 year old can stab himself in the foot with the staples. The entire apartment stinks of mildew and there is still a soaking wet spot in the bedroom that makes a squishing noise when you step on it. I called today (Tuesday) to inform them that the carpet is still wet, the place smells of mildew, and that no one ever showed up when they said they would. They told me that someone would come today, but of course they never showed up.

I'm wondering what should be my next steps here? I'm not sure if it is serious enough yet for me to be able to call the health department/ send the 14 day certified letter, but I want to be prepared and prompt in dealing with this situation as this company seems to be acting in a very negligent fashion.

Thanks to any responses.
                Your last paragraph says it all. That is what I would suggest you do. Send the letter, contact the health department and let them take it from there.

Taking up a soaked carpet to air with circulating fans is typical treatment for the flooding. But since it did not work, and the carpet staples and mildew are a hazard, getting the task done asap is in order, something the landlord apparently is not doing.

If your family has to vacate, the landlord is responsible for putting you up until the place is habitable again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X