Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHEELCHAIR BOUND

MY MOTHER HAD A STOKE WICH PARALIZED HER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HEER BODY SHE IS WHEELCHAIR BOUND NOW .SO I NEED ALOT OF STUFF DONE TO THE HOUSE TO MAKE IT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE BUT I DONT OWN MY HOME I RENT FROM A REAL ESTATE COMPANY .MY RENT IS PAID UP SO DOES THE LAND LORD HAVE TO ACCIMODATE US

Re: WHEELCHAIR BOUND

You may make changes that are necessary to continue using the apartment, as long as they are done in a workmanlike manner and you can remove the changes when you move out. You need to let the LL know ahead of time. This will be at your expense.

If the property provides parking you can request a closer or better situated spot.

Comment

I wish to inform you that the provisions of the federal Fair Housing Act and Fair Housing Amendments Act (42 U.S. Code §§ 3601-3619, 3631) will have jurisdiction in the matter. The landlord must accommodate your reasonable requests. The landlord must reasonably adjust rules, procedures, or services. You may take permission of the landlord and make changes and undo the changes at the time of leaving the premises at your own expense.

AFF

Comment

The easiest way to handle this is to move to a more properly equipped place after your lease it up.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by AUNTIE LIL View Post
          MY MOTHER HAD A STOKE WICH PARALIZED HER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HEER BODY SHE IS WHEELCHAIR BOUND NOW .SO I NEED ALOT OF STUFF DONE TO THE HOUSE TO MAKE IT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE BUT I DONT OWN MY HOME I RENT FROM A REAL ESTATE COMPANY .MY RENT IS PAID UP SO DOES THE LAND LORD HAVE TO ACCIMODATE US
          No, the landlord does not have to accommodate if she rented the place before she became wheelchair bound. Making permanent modifications to the landlord's property to accommodate her can leave you open for a big, fat damages claim.

Your options are to find another place that is handicapped accessible.

Comment

Just to let you know, EVEN IF the LL permits work to be done to make the place accessible, most tenants, when they move out, DO NOT RETURN THE PLACE TO THE CONDITION IT WAS IN PRIOR TO THE ACCOMMODATIONS. They don't have the money, they didn't realize doing it would be so expensive, they can't afford to do it because of move out costs, etc.

This means the LL is not likely to be motivated to permit any changes since the person was not disabled when they took tenancy.

By law, the LL does NOT have to accommodate to this situation in any way, shape, or form since this disability happened after tenancy was established.

As others have said, best move to a place that is more handicapped accessible after your term is up. Start looking around now to see what places offer the best options for you.

Comment

The LL MUST allow you to make reasonable accomodations to your unit, including things like ramps and hand bars. Check the ADA.

You must pay for it and you MUST return the unit to original condition when you leave.

You CANNOT break your lease without cost to you just bc of the intervening disability. Then where will you go, there are VERY few handicap accessible apartments on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
                You must pay for it and you MUST return the unit to original condition when you leave.
                In my experience, this does not happen 9 times out of 10. The unit is usually NOT returned to the original condition, so landlords beware.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  In my experience, this does not happen 9 times out of 10. The unit is usually NOT returned to the original condition, so landlords beware.
                  It is not up to the LL and they can earn themselves a lot of pain if they disallow it:

Under the Fair Housing Act, it is also unlawful for any person to refuse to permit, at the expense of the handicapped person, reasonable modifications of existing premises occupied or intended to be occupied by such person if such modifications may be necessary to afford such person full enjoyment of the premises of a dwelling. A “modification” means any change to the public or common use areas of a building or any change to a dwelling unit.

In addition the LL may have to pay for modifications outside the unit if the bldg doesn't meet guidelines.

If they receive federal funds then the complex pays for everything.

Do not spout incorrect information when you can't even bother to register.

Comment

Unless the building receives federal funds, they do not have to comply with the modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
                      Unless the building receives federal funds, they do not have to comply with the modifications.
                      Absolutely incorrect. I would recommend you read up on the Fair Housing laws.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X