USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several attempted break-ins. Early termination of lease?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several attempted break-ins. Early termination of lease?

Myself and my fiancée (both females under the age of 20) are two months into a 1 year lease in Tallapoosa, GA. To date, we have had four attempted break-ins, which are all documented in police reports. Our lease does not allow dogs or guns, our mobile home has no deadbolts, we have a broken window that doesn't lock (which my landlord is aware of), and our hallway light doesn't work. (Which my landlord is ALSO aware of.) Can we legally break our lease early because of the attempted break ins and the fact that we are not safe here, without being sued for the remainder of the lease? There is no clause in our lease about breaking the lease early and being fined/sued/anything. We want to move out ASAP- within the week preferably.

Re: Several attempted break-ins. Early termination of lease?

I wish to inform you that you can demand your landlord to repair windows and doors but you may not terminate lease. In this regard fear about attempted break ins may not be allowed because landlord cannot be held liable for any law violations. You can contact local police for such acts. You can break lease if there is lease agreement terms violated by landlord.

AFF

Comment

Well, I'm honestly not sure if its even a legally binding lease. He refused to even look at either of our licenses or social security cards. Said he didn't want any part of that and just wanted to "keep it simple." In the contract, it states that any violation gave the lessor right to reclaim the property. No word on fines or court or anything. We got a letter about having a dog here a while back saying we had ten days to get rid of it or deliver the property to him. Still nothing about penalties or anything.

Comment

Yes; you have a legally binding lease.

Gail

Comment

Okay. Can he pursue us legally without our SSNs, DLNs, etc? That isn't all that has gone on. We were assured that everything necessary would be fixed within the week we moved in January 1st. Master bathroom toilet doesn't work, the place is an electrical death trap, we have no hall light- both the fixture and the switch are hanging out of the ceiling and walls. There is a busted window which doesn't lock. We have no key to the back door, and the lock is so messed up we can't even use it. There is mold in the bathroom, one if our stove burners has a crack all the way to the middle where you can see the wires. No deadbolts on the doors. He was aware and never fixed this. He also has let himself in several times when we were gone. Neighbors have seen this. Our next door neighbor sells drugs and has been arrested several times. We were told it was a nice, quiet neighborhood with good people when we moved in. The day we got here, we were informed by the landlord's maintenance man that there were break ins, about the drug dealer, about the drunk, the neighbor with two meth head sons, etc. I'm just really concerned for our safety, and looking for a way out after all that last night. I don't want anything happening to my fiancée or myself.

Comment

Yes, getting that info will be relatively easy.
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Are you asking the forum if the landlord can track you down if you break your lease and he doesn't have your social security numbers or drivers license numbers? Yes, depending what other information you have provided him with.

If you are requesting how to handle repair issues, it is best to request these in WRITING (so you have documentation that you have notified your landlord of such) and, if he does not respond within a reasonable amount of time, you contact your local Code Enforcement to determine if this issues make the rental unit "uninhabitable" (but please skip the tired and often useless "mold" claim which is often just mildew in the bathroom and is often used by tenants trying to get out of a lease).

If serious enough, Code Enforcement may determine that the unit is unsafe to live in which would be your legal out to terminate the lease. Otherwise, simply breaking a lease could result in the landlord filing for an eviction which will end up on your credit history and will follow both of you around for years. It is important that before you seriously consider breaking a lease you have done your homework and have good evidence to justify doing this.

Gail

Comment

Most trailers parks are either well kept or in the condition yours is in. You chose to live in an environment where the poorest people live. There is generally a higher percentage of criminals in that environment.
                Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X