Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlord Pays for Gas & Electric, but Forced to use Electric Heaters. Is this Legal??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord Pays for Gas & Electric, but Forced to use Electric Heaters. Is this Legal??

I am currently renting a studio unit in central Mass where the lease states my landlords are responsible for gas heating and electricity, however, I do not have a thermostat to control and my unit is typically between 56-61 degrees, and landlords were aware from day one, offering me an electric portable heater. Feb 9th, I came home to 48 degrees and a very icy carpet. Today my landlords informed me that they ordered electric baseboard heaters and explained that the lack of heat is because my unit only has a single gas heater in the bedroom, whereas the other units have several. I know the law states a certain temperature to be maintained during the winter months, but is it legal to have me rely on electric heaters if the electricity is covered? I'm worried about a power outage due to winter storms or blown fuse, which has happened recently.

This has been a nightmare and huge waste of money. I would like to know if the heating situation is legal or not before I call the board of health or continue to pay rent if it's too cold to sleep there.

Re: Landlord Pays for Gas & Electric, but Forced to use Electric Heaters. Is this Leg

Unless local regs specify temperature control unit must be in apt, electric heaters are fine. Even if you did have a grievance, installation of baseboard heating will solve that before you incur any right to break your lease.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X