Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting two apartments at once

My lease will end at the end of April. Is it illegal to rent an apartment when you still have two months left on another lease? I will still pay the last two months on the lease. I found an apartment that is available now, so I want to go ahead and move but will fulfill the rental obligation on the current apartment. My landlord says that in the state of Hawaii it is illegal.
    I have already given him a 60 day notice that I do not intend to renew the lease .

Re: Renting two apartments at once

Originally posted by jdlhd View Post
    My lease will end at the end of April. Is it illegal to rent an apartment when you still have two months left on another lease? I will still pay the last two months on the lease. I found an apartment that is available now, so I want to go ahead and move but will fulfill the rental obligation on the current apartment. My landlord says that in the state of Hawaii it is illegal.
    I have already given him a 60 day notice that I do not intend to renew the lease .
    No, there is no such law that prohibits you from entering into two lease agreements at once. If your LL says so, he's full of it.

The primary concern in a situation like that is that you don't end up stuck in two simultaneous lease agreements that must both be fulfilled at once. Most people have difficulty affording just one rent payment, and adding a 2nd one on top of that can put a significant financial strain on just about anyone's finances.

As long as you are willing and financially able to continue paying the rent on the old apartment for the remaining two months of that lease IN ADDITION to paying the rent on the new place, then that's your business. If, however, the old LL is able to re-rent the old apartment prior to the end of that 60-day notice period, then you shouldn't also have to continue paying for it.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by jdlhd View Post
      As long as you fulfill your obligations under the older lease, there should be no problem.

Do not take legal advice from a landlord. Unless the landlord is an attorney in your state.

Comment

You may very well be able to leave. However, the lease remains in effect until its termination date unless you and the landlord agree otherwise. So you are financially obligated to pay rent until the end of the lease term. Pay the entire amount before leaving and keep the records. Refusing to accept the payment is odd. So in my opinion you should try to contact the landlord and explain that you are going to change the apartment. If he ignores you then it’s better to consult an attorney and proceed further.

Comment

I entirely agree with @sandyclaus here, you should tell your landlord that he's probably got his information from the dredges of his storage or something because it sounds like he's trying to pull a fast one on you. Just go through your lease and contract one more time to make sure that you're within the limits of what you can and cannot do because you really don't want him to come after you if he's that hard up for you to continue paying rent after your lease is up. Hope that things can get settled amicably mate! Good luck!
          Udy Regan @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/perth/storage-north-perth/

Comment

Udy..And again with the ancient postings. The OP is long gone. In fact, sadly, sandyclaus has passed easy.

Gail

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X