X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keary367
    • Feb 2013

Tenant dispute, Garage door repairs

Wisconsin - My friend rents a duplex in Appleton, WI. Two years ago while I was visiting I damaged the garage door while parking in the driveway, my foot slipped off the brake while parking. I offered to pay for damages and my friend finally got around to asking for payment now that landlord noticed damages. The landlord got one quote for $950.00, replacing the whole garage door.

My question is, can I request he get more than one quote to fix this, I don't know if he just requested a new door or asked them to just repair damages. It there a law in WI for normal wear and tear or depreciated replacement value? Am I just stuck paying this $950.00?

Thank you for any help!!

Lost in WI
  • sandyclaus
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Jun 2009

Re: Tenant dispute, Garage door repairs

Originally posted by keary367
    Wisconsin - My friend rents a duplex in Appleton, WI. Two years ago while I was visiting I damaged the garage door while parking in the driveway, my foot slipped off the brake while parking. I offered to pay for damages and my friend finally got around to asking for payment now that landlord noticed damages. The landlord got one quote for $950.00, replacing the whole garage door.

My question is, can I request he get more than one quote to fix this, I don't know if he just requested a new door or asked them to just repair damages. It there a law in WI for normal wear and tear or depreciated replacement value? Am I just stuck paying this $950.00?

Thank you for any help!!

Lost in WI
    You are responsible for paying for the damages you caused to the garage door. That doesn't necessarily mean that the LL gets a brand new door, especially if the door was already older or had pre-existing damage prior to your running into it.

Ask the LL for information on when the door was originally installed. If the door requires being replaced rather than being repaired, then you should only have to pay for the DEPRECIATED value of that door, and not for the cost of an entirely brand-new replacement.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

• Disagreeable
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Oct 2012
      • United States

You had 2 years to handle it by the cheap economical do it yourself method. Now you are stuck with what the landlord paid. It is not his job to get you the best price on door panel repairs.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• keary367
        • Feb 2013

I take full responsibility and will pay, the landlord hasn't paid for anything he just received a quote. I am just wondering how to go about talking to the landlord and getting his ok so I can get a couple more quotes to make sure I am paying for what I damaged and not paying for the price of a new garage door if I don't have to.

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

Verbally is usually more effective than sign language.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Chris Joe
            • Apr 2015

this happens most of the times when tenants use to leave home.. well garage door installation is not a problem which cannot be solved.. we have lawyers agents and door installation companies who can give you several ideas for this!

Comment

• Unregistered

prolly a roll up door with panels that are difficult to match.
              Do some homework find out if panels are still made.
              If not, cough it up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...