Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants rights -- they are bullies and try plough over the tenants

I am in a rental property; the management that runs the property are very abusive and bully the tenants. Just an example of this bully tactics, 1 tenant was in the elevator the elevator dropped 6 stories, the tenant fell in the elevator, broke her phone, and luckily did not get hurt, she now walks down and up the stairs as she is afraid of the elevators doing the same again. Her father was not given an apology or any recognition of the issue; he had to ask for an appointment that took more than 24 hours for the manager to even see him, at that meeting, he asked them to replace her brand new IPHONE, as it broke in the fall. They refused to replace or even acknowledge any wrong doings to date. The parents are afraid of being evicted, so won’t do anything about this the only reason I bring this up, is this is an ongoing issue, with most residence.

So here is my issue, Last month I gave a check, to them, however it was late, but I asked them to hold off until I deposited my check, into my account, which they agreed. After I told them to go ahead and deposit, The Bank then decided to hold the deposit, and the rental check was returned, my bank gave me an apology letter for the landlord. The landlord not prepared to take my personal checks, even though the Bank gave a formal letter of apology. The rent was due on a on the 1st I paid it on the 2nd which was not late, however I gave them a personal check, asking them to accept the check, or I would replace the check on Tuesday as I was in meetings on Monday. I did not hear from them by phone or coming to our unit, to say the wont take the check, on Wednesday night the 6th I received a late notice, and 3 day eviction notice. With penalties, I then searched my emails, and I found they sent an email on Monday 4th , saying I had till Tuesday 5th to give them a Bank certified check, which they asked me to respond as I did not see this email, I did not respond, so still, I was under the impression, that they would deposit my check, as I mentioned already, then on Wednesday evening get home to a letter pinned to my door, with a notice of a 3 day eviction, with penalties and other bills such as electric , late fees etc., o and by the way the electric is no due yet either.

As I had mentioned earlier, they are bullies and try plough over the tenants, is there anything I can do to stop this type of bulling, and also only pay what I should have and did pay on Saturday. Your thoughts as they intimidate the renters and its time we do something about this.

re: Tenants rights -- they are bullies and try plough over the tenants

Originally posted by fightback View Post
    I am in a rental property; the management that runs the property are very abusive and bully the tenants. Just an example of this bully tactics, 1 tenant was in the elevator the elevator dropped 6 stories, the tenant fell in the elevator, broke her phone, and luckily did not get hurt, she now walks down and up the stairs as she is afraid of the elevators doing the same again. Her father was not given an apology or any recognition of the issue; he had to ask for an appointment that took more than 24 hours for the manager to even see him, at that meeting, he asked them to replace her brand new IPHONE, as it broke in the fall. They refused to replace or even acknowledge any wrong doings to date. The parents are afraid of being evicted, so won’t do anything about this the only reason I bring this up, is this is an ongoing issue, with most residence.

So here is my issue, Last month I gave a check, to them, however it was late, but I asked them to hold off until I deposited my check, into my account, which they agreed. After I told them to go ahead and deposit, The Bank then decided to hold the deposit, and the rental check was returned, my bank gave me an apology letter for the landlord. The landlord not prepared to take my personal checks, even though the Bank gave a formal letter of apology. The rent was due on a on the 1st I paid it on the 2nd which was not late, however I gave them a personal check, asking them to accept the check, or I would replace the check on Tuesday as I was in meetings on Monday. I did not hear from them by phone or coming to our unit, to say the wont take the check, on Wednesday night the 6th I received a late notice, and 3 day eviction notice. With penalties, I then searched my emails, and I found they sent an email on Monday 4th , saying I had till Tuesday 5th to give them a Bank certified check, which they asked me to respond as I did not see this email, I did not respond, so still, I was under the impression, that they would deposit my check, as I mentioned already, then on Wednesday evening get home to a letter pinned to my door, with a notice of a 3 day eviction, with penalties and other bills such as electric , late fees etc., o and by the way the electric is no due yet either.

As I had mentioned earlier, they are bullies and try plough over the tenants, is there anything I can do to stop this type of bulling, and also only pay what I should have and did pay on Saturday. Your thoughts as they intimidate the renters and its time we do something about this.
    I see no issue with them refusing to take a personal check. Yes, your bank held a deposit, but it was still your responsibility to ensure that the funds were available before issuing a check against them. When your check was returned unpaid, it gave the LL the right to refuse payment via check. In fact, when that happens, they can refuse to take anything but guaranteed funds or cash for rent payments from that point forward, for at least 6 months (depending on your state statutes). Since you kept offering them your personal check instead of guaranteed funds, your rent was late unless and until you paid the amount in guaranteed funds. (And on a side note, if your rent is due on the 1st, it's LATE as of the 2nd of the month. You may not get charged a late fee until later, but when the rent is not paid on the DAY it is due, it is considered late. Anything over that without a late fee is considered a grace period from the fee, not from the rent being late.)

I suggest that next month, you have your rent ready and available, IN GUARANTEED FUNDS, on the 1st of the month.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

re: Tenants rights -- they are bullies and try plough over the tenants

SC gave an excellent response.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Re: Tenants rights -- they are bullies and try plough over the tenants

So sorry about your problem! We are also getting bullied by landlords!! There should be a law for this! Who do they all think they are????

Comment

Re: Tenants rights -- they are bullies and try plough over the tenants

Originally posted by kashanh View Post
          So sorry about your problem! We are also getting bullied by landlords!! There should be a law for this! Who do they all think they are????

Seems Tenants have more rights then the Landlord. So when they dont want to play little games about the rent and deposit you can understand why.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X