Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My landlord sold the property, new landlord wants info.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend In Court
    replied
    Re: My landlord sold the property, new landlord wants info.

Originally posted by JerRil View Post
    So my landlord sold the duplex that I live in, and the new landlords aren't very friendly. We have 2 months left on our lease, and then we will be leaving. The new landlords want us to fill out a new application form. (there was no previous application from the previous landlord.) The new form asks for SS#, bank account info, etc.... I really don't want that info out there with them since we are leaving in just a couple of months. Do they have a right to ask us to fill out all of this information even though we have been good tenants, and they only just bought the property?
    Yes,you have a right to refuse to give the information they are requesting. They probably want to find out who you are, how much you make, etc. which they are not entitled to. Only if you intend to sign a new lease would qualification be relevant.

They are obligated to abide by the terms of the lease, like it or not. You can just tell them you do not intend to renew so they do not need the information.

Leave a comment:

• sandyclaus
    replied
    Re: My landlord sold the property, new landlord wants info.

Originally posted by JerRil View Post
    So my landlord sold the duplex that I live in, and the new landlords aren't very friendly. We have 2 months left on our lease, and then we will be leaving. The new landlords want us to fill out a new application form. (there was no previous application from the previous landlord.) The new form asks for SS#, bank account info, etc.... I really don't want that info out there with them since we are leaving in just a couple of months. Do they have a right to ask us to fill out all of this information even though we have been good tenants, and they only just bought the property?
    Not necessarily.

The new LLs need whatever information might be required in order to fulfill the obligations of the existing lease.

If they want your bank account info, they can obtain that from a check you use to pay your rent. If you don't want them to have it, pay in cash (be sure to get a written receipt) or certified check.

There doesn't appear an immediate need to have your SS# at this point, so you have no obligation to provide it if you don't want to. Refusing to do so doesn't invalidate the existing lease agreement in force, and it wouldn't give them a right to terminate your lease prior to its expiration date. Obviously, the previous LL didn't need it, because you weren't required to provide it on an application form.

You should be prepared to present a copy of your existing lease, just in case the new LLs have suddenly "misplaced" it. You should ALSO make sure to keep it off-site just in case the new LLs suddenly want to evict you due to a failure to prove you have a valid lease (you'd be surprised at how often those important papers magically disappear in such situations).

Leave a comment:

• My landlord sold the property, new landlord wants info.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X