Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black mold and a baby- yet the management is apathetic

My name is Kelly and I've got a real problem here...

I've lived in the same apartment with my boyfriend for three years, but for the last year and a half, we've noticed that there is a pretty significant leak coming from the shower in the apartment above us. It basically leaked every time our upstairs neighbors took a shower. When they moved out over a year ago, the leak stopped, but the moisture was still very much there. When we first noticed the leak, we discussed it with the apartment manager and maintenance. Nothing was done. This last summer, the management was changed, along with all of the other staff. We mentioned it to the new management and still, nothing was done. I guess they figured that as long as there wasn't an active leak, it wasn't important. Around the end of summer, we discovered that we were going to have a new upstairs neighbor, and brought the leak up to management again, hoping that something would be done now that the leak was going to be active again. Let me just say that at this point, the ceiling above our shower, which was directly underneath the upstairs shower- where the leak was- was literally falling apart. We noticed mold in several places and consistently found small chunks of ceiling in our shower. After some more pestering ((at this point we had gotten pretty worried, as I was very pregnant and we really felt as though the upstairs shower could just come through our ceiling)) the maintenance finally came, cut a hole in the ceiling, stopped the leak, and patched the hole up. A couple of months ago, we noticed that the mold was getting worse, and spreading, so we began mentioning it to the management staff again, but again, got no real help. Two weeks ago, our upstairs neighbor's toilet overflowed- and I only knew that because it leaked through he vent and one of the worst mold spots on our bathroom ceiling. We called the front office, let them know what was going on, and they sent some maintenance guys to take pictures of the mold and to spray it. It's still there, getting worse, and now our ceiling leaks every time our neighbor flushes.

Our complex as a whole has many flaws, and I'm usually incredibly understanding and able to overlook these things. But when it gets to the point where it's becoming a health issue, especially with a two month old baby, I begin to wonder if we shouldn't take this problem to someone other than management. I've had asthma-like symptoms ever since my last couple of months of pregnancy, and I've NEVER had asthma before.

We DID mention the possibility of them moving us into another apartment in the complex, so that they could do the proper work in order to fix this problem once and for all, and then rent it out after they were done at the regular rate ((we're paying a reduced rate for being long-standing residents, which was established before the new management came in)). We were told that it would be breaking contract and that we would lose our $600 deposit as well as having to start all over for the new apartment.

What should we do??

re: Black mold and a baby- yet the management is apathetic

Move when your lease is up.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
      Move when your lease is up.
      Our lease isn't up until the end of July... I just wanted to see if there was some earlier resolution to the problem than just dealing with it- especially since I'm more than positive that its beginning to affect my health.

Comment

re: Black mold and a baby- yet the management is apathetic

At this point, you have no proof that the mold you found is the source of your problem. Many people are allergic to mold - and your allergies could be caused by something entirely unrelated to the mold you found.

There are only a few types which are considered deadly. Without testing by a professional, you have no proof that the kind you see is what is causing your problems, or if it really is the dangerous variety of black mold you are so frightened of. If it was the dreaded black mold, you wouldn't be experiencing just asthma.

Management seems to be handling the issues related to the water leak. Maybe not as fast as you would like, but they ARE addressing them. That means they are fulfilling their obligations here. In fact, it sounds to me like this mold is not even visible any longer, so it may not pose any further harm or threat to you and your family.

If you are so sure that your apartment is unsafe, then contact local health authorities and ask them to inspect the property and test the mold they find. Once you have definitive results of whatever problems still exist, you can use those to approach management and try to get out of your lease (if it's even possible to do so).
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Re: Black mold and a baby- yet the management is apathetic

Originally posted by kMarie1988 View Post
          Our lease isn't up until the end of July... I just wanted to see if there was some earlier resolution to the problem than just dealing with it- especially since I'm more than positive that its beginning to affect my health.
          Notify the health department and have them do an inspection. Some molds can be VERY damaging to one's health so do not let others minimalize the potential impact it can have on your health. I, personally, have a friend who has been hospitalized off and on now for 13 years because of damage mold did to her lungs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X