Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does the landlord have to advice tennant of remaining fees

In the state of Texas, how long does a landlord have to advice a tennant after they have broken a lease agreement to notify them of owed/remaining fees? I had to break my lease due to transfer of a job. I adviced the landlord what the situation was and gave them my forwarding address. However I have not heard from them and its been over a month. I heard somewhere they have 30 days to contact the tenant of the fees owed or the landlord forfeits the fees the ex-tenant owes. Am I correct?

Re: How long does the landlord have to advice tennant of remaining fees

I wish to inform you that a landlord must return the tenant's security deposit within 30 days after the tenant has moved out. Further within 30 days landlord can give a letter stating losses where security deposit has been adjusted. If 30 days have passed then landlord cannot adjust security deposit with loss caused.

AFF

Comment

Thank you for your response. I know I owe a reletting fee and 2 months rent for abruptly terminating my lease and I adviced them to send me my total of what I owe to my forwarding address which I provided. Again just to confirm it has been more then 30 days and I have yet to receive a statement from them. Does this mean the landlord forfeits any money I may owe them?

Comment

Originally posted by basehitt82 View Post
        In the state of Texas, how long does a landlord have to advice a tennant after they have broken a lease agreement to notify them of owed/remaining fees? I had to break my lease due to transfer of a job. I adviced the landlord what the situation was and gave them my forwarding address. However I have not heard from them and its been over a month. I heard somewhere they have 30 days to contact the tenant of the fees owed or the landlord forfeits the fees the ex-tenant owes. Am I correct?
        There is no limit on the amount of time required to notify a tenant of move-out amounts due. The 30-days you're thinking of are strictly related to security deposits, in that the LL has 30 days to assess damages and return any remaining security deposits after deductions, or an accounting of how the security deposit was spent. However, if there is no security deposit involved here, then there is no specific time limit, except what would be considered reasonable.

At the very least, unless you paid an early termination fee, you will be liable for the unpaid rent until a new tenant is found to replace you, or the end of the lease, whichever occurs first. If you haven't paid anything, then that amount will continue to accrue until you do.
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X