Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord foreclosed; Question on security deposit in VA

I live in Virginia Beach VA. I rent a townhome that was foreclosed on. It was then auctioned to a couple. Is there any chance of getting my security deposit back or am I hosed? Thanks

re: Landlord foreclosed; Question on security deposit in VA

I wish to inform you that you can recover your security deposit. In this regard the security deposit, with any accrued interest and allowable deductions, must be returned to you by whoever holds the landlord’s interest in the property as of the date your tenancy is terminated.

AFF

Comment

re: Landlord foreclosed; Question on security deposit in VA

Originally posted by michaelhill32 View Post
      I live in Virginia Beach VA. I rent a townhome that was foreclosed on. It was then auctioned to a couple. Is there any chance of getting my security deposit back or am I hosed? Thanks
      By law, a security deposit held by one owner is supposed to be transferred to a new owner if the property is sold. However, in a foreclosure situation, things often turn out much differently. The owner of the foreclosed property is already in financial straits, and will usually spend any deposits they have received. And since there is already a foreclosure on their credit, the usual suggestion to sue the former owner for the security deposit is an exercise in futility, since even if you DO win a judgment, you'd fall right at the back of the line for all the other creditors who got there before you.

No, it's not right. But unfortunately, the circumstances make it exceptionally difficult to pursue a LL that does this.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X