Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else can I do? We were not behind until June of 2012

I live in Michigan. I have received three 7-day demand for possession notices from my landlord, dated November 6, 2012, December 6th, 2012 and January 7, 2013. The last one says we owe $449.97. I went to social services when I got the first one when we only owed $99.79 and they said they couldn't do anything because it wasn't an "official court ordered" eviction notice. I received a letter from my landlord today stating that we owe $1,075.40... $550.00 of that being next month's rent. We were not behind until June of 2012...three months after our upstairs neighbor moved out and the landlord decided to bill us for our share of the water and gas bill themselves...separately from our rent. My girlfriend and I are on disability and only get $1,405.00 a month between the two of us and I was just wondering what, if anything, I can do.

re: What else can I do? We were not behind until June of 2012

Apparently, pay your rent before you are evicted.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Re: What else can I do?

I wish to inform you that your rent agreement will determine your rights. In this regard your landlord may not bill you for anything other then what has been due as per agreement. As regards utilities unless otherwise agreed generally you can be billed for the amount of utilities that you have used. You may further be liable for the rent for period you have stayed in premises. You can protest to the amount being demanded by landlord and state that you do not consent to any amount other other then amount agreed.

AFF

Comment

Re: What else can I do? We were not behind until June of 2012

Originally posted by BlaqueSapphyre View Post
        I live in Michigan. I have received three 7-day demand for possession notices from my landlord, dated November 6, 2012, December 6th, 2012 and January 7, 2013. The last one says we owe $449.97. I went to social services when I got the first one when we only owed $99.79 and they said they couldn't do anything because it wasn't an "official court ordered" eviction notice. I received a letter from my landlord today stating that we owe $1,075.40... $550.00 of that being next month's rent. We were not behind until June of 2012...three months after our upstairs neighbor moved out and the landlord decided to bill us for our share of the water and gas bill themselves...separately from our rent. My girlfriend and I are on disability and only get $1,405.00 a month between the two of us and I was just wondering what, if anything, I can do.
        By law, unless your rent due date for the following month is this early, the letter you received doesn't accurately reflect the amount of past due rent you owe NOW. Of course, the LL would need to serve you with a proper notice that reflects the current amount of rent due before they can take further action.

However, that brings me to the next point. You've received THREE 7-day notices. On the FIRST one, way back in November, you decided to go to social services to ask for assistance. Of course, if you haven't paid since then, the amount is going to increase every month you remain in possession without paying what you owe.

What are you waiting for? Every day that passes without you paying the rent is another day closer to the LL getting a legal eviction against you. Social services is not the only source of assistance. You need to either move out before that eviction happens, or get going on finding alternate sources of income to pay the rent you owe. If you are unable to bring your rent current, then leaving seems the most prudent option for you.

It's not the LL's problem that you are unable to afford your rent.
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueSapphyre View Post
          What does your lease say about water and gas bills? Are they included in rent or are you to pay them separately? They can't change that without your approval, in writing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X