Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landlord to build a second suite

I have a 2 years old home in a very good neighborhood. I have rented the bedrooms to tenents on room share basis and keep one bedroom to us. I would like to construct the basement for ourself or rent it out. What is the law? If the construction in the basement does go on, do I have to get the permission of the other people living in the house? What if everything goes well, and the work goes on in the basement,at the noon one person from the second floor comes up and says he is trying to sleep? what are the legal timings in which the work can be done.

This guy does not work and stay at home all day long. Today, I was fixing the rack in the basement at noon, with nail and hammer and he came up and said he is trying to sleep. I said sorry and did not realize he can hear it on the second floor and stopped doing it.

Please help. What to do and what is the right thing to do.

Re: landlord to build a second suite

You should check city zoning and rental rules first--you may call the city.

You should inform the tenants and have their agreement or they may argue you are breaching the lease by making it uninhabitable.

Comment

what if the people are living upstairs and basement work is not in any way coming in their way. if the work goes on in the permissible timings, can they object. if they expect that you get it done in the evening as they plan to sleep in the day instead of night, and can they control the landlord in saying when is the right time to do work. if they expect that the work can be done in the evening or night, is it reasonable and do they expect the neighbors to put up with this as people are outside or sleeping at night.

Not that I am planning to get anything done right now but I just wanted to know what kind of situations landlords are put into. Because of the little objection, i asked the guy to explore further that if we plan to get the basement built, what would be the right time for him that I can get the work done. he said evening or night would be fine. i was surprised to see that he could give this kind of an answer. I told him that which contractor would want to work in evening , would not the neighbors object.

Comment

They cannot object if it does not interfere with their premises.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X