X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break lease to buy a home? - Minnesota laws

Here is what I found.

Q Are there any laws in Minnesota that pertain to getting out of an apartment lease to buy a home?

I have heard that my apartment leasing company cannot penalize me for terminating my lease agreement early, as long as I give 60 days' notice, if I am going to buy a house. Is this true?

A -----There are no laws in Minnesota that allow a tenant to terminate their lease early in order to buy a home. Unless a landlord would specifically include language in your lease allowing termination early if purchasing a home, it does not exist. The language in your lease prevails, so if you have spoken with your landlord and cannot work out a smaller penalty, you will need to pay the amount indicated in your lease.

re: Break lease to buy a home? - Minnesota laws

I think that is true everywhere, unless somebody knows otherwise. It is true here in Michigan as well. Can't break just to buy a home.

Comment

In Minnesota, many of the apartment/condo communities offer a 'break lease' option if you buy a home. But there are clauses about which months - you can almost never break any leases here during the winter (for all the obvious reasons)
      Mike E Williams
      http://www.northstarstateauctions.com/texas-foreclosures.htm

Comment

All of the above are true. Only 3 reasons exist to be allowed to break a lease without consequences. And not all apply in all states.
        1. Service Members Act - a federal law that allows active service members to break a lease if they are called to deploy or moved to a different base. Federal law applies everywhere in the US. A serice member deployed allows his family to cancel the lease too. This applies to recruiters too.
        2. Americans with Disabilities Act - a federal law that requires a LL to allow accomodations to the property to make it usable by a disabled tenant. The accomodations are paid for by the tenant. If the property cannot be made usuable for the tenants disability, the tenant may terminate to find a unit that can be made suitable for him. But sometimes, a property cannot be made suitable. (ie: There may be no place to install an elevator for a newly disabled tenant.) In this case, the tenant may terminate.
        3. Victims of Domestic Assault - Some states require a LL to allow a victim of a DV to terminate so he/she can leave the area to escape and protect him or her self. Not all states have a law to allow this. Those that do normally require that the victim have filed for a restraining order from the person, and has lived with the person.

Comment

Re: Break lease to buy a home? - Minnesota laws

This was 15 years ago when we broke a lease to buy a house. I was threatened with 60 days of rent. I said "You name the court date." The collections officer stated to me in Minnesota, a landlard cannot collect rent even 1 day more that the renter actually lived in the property. The fact that a lease was present had nothing to do with the renter beng bound to the property.

Comment

Re: Break lease to buy a home? - Minnesota laws

Originally posted by Two Cents Worth View Post
            This was 15 years ago when we broke a lease to buy a house. I was threatened with 60 days of rent. I said "You name the court date." The collections officer stated to me in Minnesota, a landlard cannot collect rent even 1 day more that the renter actually lived in the property. The fact that a lease was present had nothing to do with the renter beng bound to the property.
            Seriously? Don't necropost.

As if dredging up a dead thread isn't bad enough, posting inaccurate information on top of that is just ridiculous.
            "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
            "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
            "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X