The United States Arbitration Corporation (USAC)

USAC Banner 300x250

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lease -- If they made a mistake in accepting my move, shouldn't they resolve it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease -- If they made a mistake in accepting my move, shouldn't they resolve it?

I have been a resident at my apartment complex for about 4 years. I put a notice to vacate, since I was not feeling safe in my area. My last day would have been the 15th of January, but, I was reassured that efforts were being made to make it a safer inviroment. So, I signed a new lease for a bigger apartment, to which I had to pay a new rental deposit ($200.00), pay the prorated month at the new lease price ($343.50), transferred my utilities and phone line, paying all transfer fees ($216.00). I was suppose to get the keys by the 12th and start moving. I did all that was required.

A new lease was printed, signed and they took my money. On the day of the 12th, I was notified I would not get the new apartment, I would either renew my old lease (now paying a higher amount, which is only about $30.00 difference) and would need to come up with the prorated money for the renewal by the 14th or move out by the 15th.

I asked them why couldn't they use the money I had given them already, to which they told me I would get it back as a refund and it would take 7 to 14 days.

They have pined me into the wall. What are my options? Besides, being homeless on the 15th of January. I have sent an email to their corporate offices. But, I fear my ignorance regarding my rights as a tenant will make my disadvantage greater.

If we signed a contract for which they took money for and deposited it, isn't that a binding contract?? If they made a mistake in accepting my move, shouldn't they resolve it without obligating me to pay more or get out??

Somebody, please, please help me ASAP... I only have 2 days.

I pray someone to illuminate my darkest hour.

Sincerely
    Gladys
    (407)830-5474
    email: [email protected]

re: Lease -- If they made a mistake in accepting my move, shouldn't they resolve it?

Based on what you say here, you could file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no attorney...

and...they have to evict you in court if you will not leave as well...you can fight them there as well

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X