Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire, Smoke and Water Damage Liability

Due to faulty wiring of my bathroom exhaust fan, my apartment caught fire and the ceiling was destroyed. The fire department was called, which dumped 750 gallons of water into the apartment, effectively destroying my guitars, amplifiers, and all of my electronics. My bed and all of my clothes have severe smoke damage as well. I live in North Carolina.

My question is this: Is my landlord liable for the damages done to my property due to their improper installation of the exhaust fan? Thanks.

Re: Fire, Smoke and Water Damage Liability

Yes if they caused the fire.

Comment

To salvage your belongings, you must act quickly and call a professional restoration company in your local area. Within 24-48 hours, water damage will cause mold and continue to destroy both property and content.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Due to faulty wiring of my bathroom exhaust fan, my apartment caught fire and the ceiling was destroyed. The fire department was called, which dumped 750 gallons of water into the apartment, effectively destroying my guitars, amplifiers, and all of my electronics. My bed and all of my clothes have severe smoke damage as well. I live in North Carolina.

My question is this: Is my landlord liable for the damages done to my property due to their improper installation of the exhaust fan? Thanks.
        If no one knew the wiring was faulty or installed improperly--and you'd have to prove that (had it been working okay? For how long? How long have you lived in the unit? How do you know it was faulty wiring? How do you know it was improper installation, as faulty wiring and improper installation are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS) -- then your Renters Insurance should cover all your personal property.

What's that you say? You don't have Renters Insurance? Good luck with that.

Comment

Good day! I think yes. The landlord should fixed right away if there's a problem of your room especially if it's involve in wiring because it can cause of fire like what happen. The owner must responsible enough and secured the security of their boarders or tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by oh hmmmmm View Post
            If no one knew the wiring was faulty or installed improperly--and you'd have to prove that (had it been working okay? For how long? How long have you lived in the unit? How do you know it was faulty wiring? How do you know it was improper installation, as faulty wiring and improper installation are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS) -- then your Renters Insurance should cover all your personal property.

What's that you say? You don't have Renters Insurance? Good luck with that.
            "Oh hmmmmm", did you notice the date stamp on the post you are replying to? It was written back in 2006; six years ago. What do you think the chances are this person will see your reply?

Comment

did you notice the date stamp on the post you are replying to? It was written back in 2006; six years ago.
              WHY is there necroposting here? Is it because the board isn't all that active?

Comment

WHY is there necroposting here? Is it because the board isn't all that active?
                The person you quoted was not the one guilty of "necroposting" (good lord, what strange internet lingo we have going on).

To answer your questions... because it's allowed, and probably.

Comment

The person you quoted was not the one guilty of "necroposting" (good lord, what strange internet lingo we have going on).

To answer your questions... because it's allowed, and probably.

No one accused anyone of necroposting--the response was made by hitting the Quote button and a question was asked--that's how I took it anyway.

Personally, when I read this forum's posts, I don't generally look at the original post's date but will do so!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X