Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-lease tenant port orange, florida

I rent my condo to my daughter who has been subletting it to her now former fiance and another roommate. The problem is with the fiance. Since they are no longer engaged, I would like to stop having him in the condo. The rent is up to date and is paid by checks written through their joint checking account and signed by my daughter.

He left a week ago, but still has a lot of furniture, stuff, in the condo. I'm not sure if we can look at his not being there as leaving or "on vacation." Now that the engagement is over, I want to have his stuff out of the condo by the first of next month. There is no written agreement.

What steps do I need to take.

Re: non-lease tenant port orange, florida

In FL, a m2m tenant can be given a 15 day written notice to terminate tenancy. Call the clerk of court and ask how you may serve this. There are other ways besides handing it to the tenant. Some states allow mailing it (regular or certified, depending on state), posting it to the door of the residence, handing it to anyone there over the age of 13, or notice by publication. The clerk can tell you how you can serve it. Keep a copy. If they don't leave by the end of this notice, you can file to evict as a hold-over tenant. But I must ask, if your daughter is still signing the checks, does she know of your plans?

Comment

Their personal lives are really none of your business. If you are retaliating against him because he broke off the engagement, you can be sued for damages. You also cannot touch any of his possessions or change the locks, or do anything else that suggests you evicted him without benefit of utilizing the courts to do so.

You have failed to mention whether your daughter is okay with all of this. Perhaps she still wants him as a roommate, and enjoys the splitting of bills? Just because the engagement was broken does not constitute kicking him out because you don't like him, or you don't like that he's no longer engaged to your daughter. She's a grown adult who can make her own decisions without mommy interfering.

What difference does it make whether they are engaged or not as long as he's paying his rent?

Comment

This site might prove helpful as it has rental guidelines for your state

Florida Landlord/Tenant Law Division of Consumer Services, DOACS

Comment

This is the decision that my daughter has made on her own. Right now, he has returned home to Michigan for an indeterminate period of time.

He has a lot of furniture, gear, kitchen items, etc. in my condo. We do not have a written lease. Am I under any obligation to continue to rent to him? BTW, I never receive checks from him. They come from their joint account and my daughter signs them.

Comment

There are issues of safety

Comment

I believe this is the best course of action.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X