Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My roommate got a dog without my consent can I get out of my lease?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My roommate got a dog without my consent can I get out of my lease?

I have a lease that is four months from being over. In our lease it states that no more then three pets are allowed in the apartment. I have two dogs and one cat. The owners of the apartment are aware of that and I pay extra a month to have them there. My roommate just brought home a pitt bull mix and I feel her behavior endangers my pets. I also did not give her permission to have the animal in the apartment and I feel that the owners of the complex are also not aware the dog is here. Can I break my lease, so my pets will be safe?

Re: My roommate got a dog without my consent can I get out of my lease?

Is this your lease, or a joint lease with this roommate? Did you both sign at the same time? Did you have your pets at the beginning of the lease, and the roommate just got one?

If a joint lease, and your pets were on the lease from the beginning, your roommate's actions have no put you in violation of the lease. You cannot terminate because of the actions of your roommate. You chose the roommate. You cannot harm the LL monetarily because of the actions of the roommate you chose. I'd notify the LL that there are now more pets than what are permitted and have him send a violation notice telling her to get rid of the dog because 1) it violates the number of pets permitted under the lease, and 2) because it is a pit bull it will void the LL's home owner's property insurance (those are almost always on a restricted breed list by insurers.) The LL is sure to send this notice as soon as he hears the words "pit bull". In the meantime, you might want to secure your animals or allow them to "visit" a friend or relative. Tell your roommate the are at the vet's.

Comment

The language in the lease is pretty clear. No more than THREE pets. You already have reached that limit with your own pets, and the roommate is in violation of the lease. It does not mean three pets per roommate. It means three pets, period, in the unit.

Don't break the lease over this. The landlord will insist the roommate get rid of the dog. The landlord should also protect himself by inserting a clause that no pit bulls or other large dogs considered dangerous be allowed in the complex. Insurance rates skyrocket when these types of breeds are present.

Comment

You CAN'T break your lease on this. It wasn't your LL who violated the lease. It was you and your roommate (specifically the roommate). If the LL issues a lease violation, it will probably only state that one pet has to go. Then it will be up to you and your roommate to figure out which one. If he issue a violations notice, it will be against all tenants in the unit (including you). This is not your LL's problem. It is a problem between you and your roommate. Handle it. You have no legal basis to break your lease. You will be held responsible if you do.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X