Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

confused (English citizen living in Finland)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused (English citizen living in Finland)

Im a english citizen living in Finland for 5 years with my common law wife, who is finnish.
    We bought a appartment together in her name. All bills, everything is in her name.
    I was working full time for over 3 years and all my salary went into her bank account due to the fact that i suffer from A.D.H.D so when i needed some money i would just ask.
    1 year ago i lost my job but as i was a member of a union im still recieving 60% of my salary of which also was paid into my common law wife?´s account.
    In october 2009 my wife made me open my own bank account because my wife was working 15 hours a day, i had no work and we decided that i would visit friends in india for 3 months and therefore needed to obtain cash.
    7 days before my return flight, my wife tells me not to come home and all my stuff will be at the airport when i arrive also i was told not to go near our home or see my dog.
    I have done everything she has asked of me but i have many things still in our home, tools for work computer memory data etc etc. I need to go inside my home for 1 hour to pick things up.
    Im not interested in material items (TV?´s, FUNISHINGS Ect) she can keep everything!
    So even though i have totally rebuilt the place and 80.000euros+ of my money has gone into the home do i have any legal rights at all ? because her name is on everything apart from the postal address.
    I have no criminal record, no history of violance of any kind! Am i entilted to anything regarding my home?
    After 5/6 years of building a home, for someone to click their fingers and take it all away can?´t be fair!
    NEED ADVICE
    Regards britti147

Re: confused (English citizen living in Finland)

Check local laws. This is not under rental law, so you may want to post under real estate law or family law on this forum. But allow me to try to answer. In most places, husband and wife jointly own property. The property belongs to both. One cannot unilaterally decide that they now can have sole occupancy. You have a right to reside there since you have established residence. Even if the house is in her name alone, your rights of occupancy would require her to notify you of her desire to have you move out and take your belongings. You would then have a certain amount of time (probably a month or so) to move. She would not be able to simply state - don't come back. You need an attorney NOW! (If it were me, I'd just go home.)

Comment

If two or more owners cannot agree on what to do with a piece of property they may petition the court and the court will order a sale or refinancing etc. so that the one or more may get out of the property obligation and/or the other(s) may keep it etc.--it is often done-- (This is true in some cases even for equitable owners that have paid various amounts etc., but for various reasons, may not be on title.)

I would ask the World Law lawyers or other local lawyers to intervene if you cannot get this resolved, they may be able to resolve for you.

Comment

Originally posted by britti147 View Post
        Im a english citizen living in Finland for 5 years with my common law wife, who is finnish.
        We bought a appartment together in her name. All bills, everything is in her name.
        I was working full time for over 3 years and all my salary went into her bank account due to the fact that i suffer from A.D.H.D so when i needed some money i would just ask.
        1 year ago i lost my job but as i was a member of a union im still recieving 60% of my salary of which also was paid into my common law wife?´s account.
        In october 2009 my wife made me open my own bank account because my wife was working 15 hours a day, i had no work and we decided that i would visit friends in india for 3 months and therefore needed to obtain cash.
        7 days before my return flight, my wife tells me not to come home and all my stuff will be at the airport when i arrive also i was told not to go near our home or see my dog.
        I have done everything she has asked of me but i have many things still in our home, tools for work computer memory data etc etc. I need to go inside my home for 1 hour to pick things up.
        Im not interested in material items (TV?´s, FUNISHINGS Ect) she can keep everything!
        So even though i have totally rebuilt the place and 80.000euros+ of my money has gone into the home do i have any legal rights at all ? because her name is on everything apart from the postal address.
        I have no criminal record, no history of violance of any kind! Am i entilted to anything regarding my home?
        After 5/6 years of building a home, for someone to click their fingers and take it all away can?´t be fair!
        NEED ADVICE
        Regards britti147
        Britti147,

I will find our from my Mom and Dad as they where both born and raised in Finland, I think it is common law as here in the states, if your married, then it all divided 50/50 unless other documents are signed.

Tony

Comment

Britti, simply move back home. You are a resident there. You are entitled to live there. She cannot unilaterally decide to have you move out. Pack your bags and show up at the door tomorrow and move right back in. Then let your lawyers decide what should be done with the house. But don't give up your right to it by failing to return to it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X