Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Month To Month Agreement or a Year's Lease?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Month To Month Agreement or a Year's Lease?

I just recently got out of my lease and gave a 30 day notice. On my lease it states: " Month To Month Starting 9/1/09 for set term to 8/31/10." Now is that considered a month to month agreement and I dont have to pay to break the lease because I gave a 30 day notice or is that still a year lease?

re: Month To Month Agreement or a Year's Lease?

I believe you have a year's lease. While it uses the term month to month, it means that you rent (pay) by the month for the entire term from Sept. of 2009 through Aug. of 2010. That is clearly a year's lease. The term is stated and clearly discernible. You will have to pay the penalties to break the lease. That means you will owe rent until the unit is re-rented*, advertising fees, agent fees if he uses one to find a new agent, and any other non-reimbursed fees he pays because you broke the lease. Alternately, the lease may state a set fee that is paid to break a lease. This Lease Break Fee, or Termination Fee, replaces all of the above costs. Normal lease break fees are about 2 month's worth of rent.

* In some states, the LL has no obligation to attempt to re-rent the unit. If you live in one of those 12 or so states, you are on the hook for the entire year's rent unless he does re-rent it. Once re-rented, you are off the hook. Hopefully you are not in one of those states.

I must ask. Why are you moving after only 5 months?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X