Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA - Amount of Notice on a Month to Month Lease

I am a new landlord with an apartment in PA. I am in the process of drafting a lease. If I offer a month to month lease or the apartment. How much notice does a tenant need to give if they vacate the apartment? Is it 30 days notices or 60 days notice.

Also, what is the standard amoount of time a tenant should have to pay rent. Is it 3 days or 5 days before it is consider late?

Re: PA - Amount of Notice on a Month to Month Lease

There isn't a specific statute on how much notice is required for a m2m tenant in your state. Make it 30 days to be reasonable.

There is no mandatory grace period for leases and rent payments in PA. You can make the rent due the 1st, and it can be late the 2nd. Reasonable late fees can kick in on the 2nd of the month. I suggest you do so. Tenants often confuse the end of a grace period (the date a late fee kicks in) for the date when rent is due. They are not the same. Rent is due on the 1st, late on the 2nd, but you can get by without paying a late fee until the grace period is over. But rent is still considered late and in some states the LL can still start eviction proceedings before the grace period is over. The rent is already late by the time the grace period ends and late fees begin!

If you make a grace period so that late fees don't kick in immediately, I guarantee that tenants will not pay rent until that date. If none is required by your state law, and it isn't, don't include one. If tenants need to pay rent on some other date than the 1st, prorate the rent to be due on that date. For instance, their check doesn't come until the 3rd. Instead of paying rent late each month, prorate the rent so that they pay for a month + 3 days of rent one month. All future rents would then not be due until the 3rd so they will be able to pay on time.

Comment

Re: PA - Amount of Notice on a Month to Month Lease

This was helpful. Thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X