Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landlord shutting down mobile home park

i live in pinellas county florida, the mobile home park i live in was bought out in december 2009, they said every thing is business as usual, and also gave us a gift basket w/ $100.00 gift card. on january 11, 2010 we had to sign for a letter explaining that they we closing down the park and we have until apirl 15, 2010 to move out. my family chose not to pay rent, and to save for a down payment on another rental, on january 26, 2010 we were given a 3- day notice to pay or get out. now how am i suposed to pay rent, plus all my other bills(power,gas for car, groceries, insurance) and save up to move out. some how i don;t think that is very fair.

Re: landlord shutting down mobile home park

It's simple. You chose to withhold rent for what you believe to be justified reasons, that were not. You cannot withhold rent simply because the landlord alerted you they were closing the park on a certain date. They gave the tenants ample opportunity to find another place to live, and if you chose to withhold the rent for the remainder of that time, then they had every right to force evict.

You talk of fairness, but is it fair to steal from people? That is, in essence, what you are doing.

That you failed to take advantage of saving money for a rainy day is of no consequence to people you owe money to. That responsibility lies with you alone.

Comment

what's not fair is all the people that live here, live paycheck to paycheck, or are on somekind of goverment help. not to mention its a church that owns the park, and they are going to build a parking lot to add to there other very large parking lot.

Comment

I'm sorry. But I'm going to be blunt here since you believe being low income allows you to take a place to live without paying for it! You are not entitled to a free place to live! The fact that the church has decided to shut down the park and use the land for other purposes is a fact of life. That is their land and their right to do so. They gave all the residents ample notice to make arrangements to move. If you rent the trailer, they were only required to give you 15 days notice (without a lease) to move out. Instead, they gave you 3 months notice. They were being GENEROUS giving you as much time to move as they could. And you reward that church by refusing to pay for your place.

You have no right to rent withhold. Rent withholding is only for HABITABILITY issues. You have no habitability issue- no heat, water, structure, or electrical problem that prevents you from being able to live there. (The fact that you are living there is proof of that.) And if you did have, you would have to give the LL written notice of the problem and allow him up to 30 days to repair before you could rent withhold. So you have no legal right to rent withhold. Your rent withholding is ILLEGAL! They have every right to give you the pay or quit notice, then file eviction if the rent is not paid within those 3 days. If you do not pay rent within those 3 days, you will be evicted. Instead of having 3 months to find a new place, you now have less than a month to move before a court eviction and your items are set out. Eviction for non-payment is very quick in your area. It consists of a 10-15 minute hearing. "Did you pay the rent?" "No." "Judgment of possession for the plaintiff." You have no excuse for not paying rent and the judge will not listen to, nor care, that you have withheld money because you are low income. That is not a legitimate reason.

It is not the LL's business how you manage your finances, where your money comes from, or what you do with it. That is your business and responsibility. All the tenants have 90 days to find a place, save for it, arrange emergency funding through social agencies or charities, get second jobs to afford to move, or whatever. Get your rent paid now, go find sources of funding to be able to move, and start to pack. You have no other choice. Oh, except having your belongings set out on the curb.

Comment

I am in complete agreement with the last poster and I am poster # 1 after the OP's.

What you find "fair" or "unfair" is irrelevant to the fact that business is business and the new owners have every right to do with their property what they choose to do. The above poster is correct. If you don't pay your rent, you WILL be evicted, and that will hinder your ability to rent another place. A judge WILL rule in favor of the landlord/plaintiff, if it goes to court.

Instead of whining about what you consider fair and unfair, you should be paying your rent while looking for an affordable alternative place to live. The landlord has given you MORE than FAIR ample and reasonable time to look for another place to call home.

It is not the concern of the landlord or anyone else how people choose to live their lives. If you and your fellow neighbors live paycheck to paycheck, that is a choice you all have made in your own lives and is NOT a determining factor in whether you get to decide whether or not your landlord "deserves" to get paid by you for using THEIR facilities.

You cannot legally withhold rent over this. You have two options. Pay, or be evicted. Either way, you are either going to be moving under an even harder financial hardship sooner, or moving after having had ample time to prepare, later. Your choice.

Comment

Well put by both posters. You can't stop paying rent just because they told you to move out in 3 months! If you don't know that, you are not mature enough to be living on your own.

Comment

I DON'T THINK YOU KNOW ME WELL ENOUGH TO SAY THAT I'M NOT MATURE, I HAVE BEEN OUT OF MY PARENTS HOUSE FOR 10 YEARS, AND LIVE WITH MY HUSBAND, 1 CHILD AND HAVE ALSO TAKEN IN MY MOTHER WHO IS DISABLED. I HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA AND HAVE BEEN AT MY CURRENT JOB FOR 13 YEARS, AND MAKE ALMOST $15.00 AN HOUR, SO I THINK I AM PLENTY MATURE ENOUGH. BUT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. I DIDN'T ASK FOR EVERYONE TO CHEW ME A NEW BUTT, I SIMPLY WANTED KNOW KNOW IF ANYONE HAD ANY SUGGESTIONS OR MAYBE SOMEONE HAS BEEN IN THE SAME SITUATION THAT I'M IN AS WELL AS ABOUT 30 OTHER FAMILIES AND THAT HAVE A LIMITED INCOME

Comment

Pardon me, but you have been given sound legal advice on what the law is regarding your situation.

Take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Pardon me, but you have been given sound legal advice on what the law is regarding your situation.

Take it or leave it.
                  Perhaps you should have said, "Take it, or face the eviction!"

Anyone who stops paying rent because the LL told them they will have to move 3 MONTHS FROM NOW is not mature, irregardless of age. That's a knee jerk reaction and very childish. Rent withholding is illegal in this situation. That's why people are "chewing (you) a new butt". You can't do it. Pay your rent or you will end up having your belongings put on the curb.

Mom always said, "Life isn't fair. And then you die."

Comment

Actually, what I meant by take it or leave it was the advice that was given here. The OP has already been advised he/she would face eviction. It's been stated several times.

There really is no point chastising the OP, as he/she already knows now that his/her situation is that he/she must either pay their rent or face eviction.

This is a legal advice forum, and really, strong personal opinions about the OP are uncalled for and unnecessary.

Comment

Whats the point of having a forum if people can't use it to get advice without being ridiculed for their question what you did Sir was rude and uncalled for, if you worked for my firm I would have you Fired on the spot this is a person looking for help. Not everyone is on the same level of Intelligence either you should be able to adjust your behavior/manners in helping people otherwise you just sound dumb!

Speak with the MOBILE HOME COMMISSION in your city and see if their is any thing you can do to resolve this. I have heard that if the park is going under you may have the right to buy the park also they may have to move your mobile home to another park for free if you have a lease you may be able to ride out that lease as well. If the city is involve in closing down your park their is not much you can do but maybe buy the park. "Good luck and best wishes to you!"

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X