USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to collect money from an evicted Tenant...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to collect money from an evicted Tenant...

Hi, I am a landlord who is in the process of evicting my tenant. He has not paid rent for November and now December. He has also not paid utilities for October and November. I have been able to get a Writ of Possession, which allows to evict him, but since he did not answer within 7 days after he was served, I am not able to get a judgement for the money owed. How can I go about collecting the debt that he owes me? Do I have to first get a judgement from small claims court? After I do get a judgement, how can I collect? If I hire a collections agency, do they first have to have the judgement for money owed? what is the best route, he owes me over $3,000. I will not even know where he will be living, so how will anyone get in touch with him or find him? Please help. Thanks in advance!

Re: How to collect money from an evicted Tenant...

Yes file in small claims court and sue him, and see Collecting on a court judgment

Comment

Thanks for your reply and the link..it's very helpful. When I file a complaint at small claims court, they need an address. How can I find his forwarding address, since he will no longer be living at my property. Any idea?

Thanks again.

Comment

Check friends, work associates, etc. or hire a private detective if need be.

Comment

Thanks. I actually filed a suit against the tenant for the money owed while he is still living on property and rushed it. I am in the process of evicting him, too. So, I have another question. What if I know for a fact that the tenant is home all day (works from home). But, when the Marshall comes to serve him at his door, the tenant does not answer the door. What will happen if the tenant never answers the door? Any ideas? Can I be there to let the Marshall in?

Comment

The marshall can slip it in the door and tell the judge the person was inside...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X