•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Re: Landlord charging after lease expiration

You would likely win if you take it to small claims...askthem to pay or file in court.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic Landlord charging after lease expiration

Landlord charging after lease expiration

I had a 6-month apartment lease that stated the the term of the lease as 5/1/06 to 10/30/06. I moved out and did the checkout with the apartment manager on the last day. I was expecting to receive my security deposit from the property owner soon after. Instead the property owner sent me a letter saying they charged me for November's rent because I did not give them a written notice that I was leaving.

In the rental agreement there is a rule exactly stating: "Occupancy shall be on a month-to-month tenancy after expiration of the lease. This periodic month-to-month tenancy can be terminated only on the last day of the month by a written notice given at least 60 days before the termination date."

I never went into periodic month-to-month tenancy because I left when the lease expired, therefore, this rule shouldn't have applied. I had a lease with an end date and I left on that day. The apartment manager even called me several weeks before the expiration of my lease to double check that I was leaving because he was going to show the apartment.

I also never received anything from the property owner before the expiration of my lease regarding my tenancy after the lease ended.

Can they do this?
    Thank you
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X