Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outrageous rent increase - Managed apartment complex

I am currently living in a managed apartment complex and my lease will end in December. I recently received a notice regarding renewing my lease. However, the managment company decided to increase the rent by almost $250 per month for the next lease term. That is more than a 20% rate increase from what I am paying now. Is that legal? Is there anything that can be done?

It is not illegal unless you have a rent controlled apt--but they may negotiate with you if you complain.

Comment

Re: Outrageous rent increase - Managed apartment complex

are you in california? forgive me if i overlooked, but i did not see the state

it depends. did you add an additional occupant that is not on the lease?

if the building is rent controlled: the owner cannot increase rent more than 10% no matter what.

annual rent increase is 3-5% depending on who pays utilities

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        are you in california? forgive me if i overlooked, but i did not see the state

it depends. did you add an additional occupant that is not on the lease?

if the building is rent controlled: the owner cannot increase rent more than 10% no matter what.

annual rent increase is 3-5% depending on who pays utilities
        Your response is inaccurate. The LL can raise the rent to ANY level if they live in California and do not reside in a rent-controlled community. In those circumstances, they MAY raise the rent more than 10%, but it requires more notice if they do so.

But all of this is a discussion that can't even begin until we know where OP resides.
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
          Your response is inaccurate. The LL can raise the rent to ANY level if they live in California and do not reside in a rent-controlled community. In those circumstances, they MAY raise the rent more than 10%, but it requires more notice if they do so.

But all of this is a discussion that can't even begin until we know where OP resides.
          you are 100% correct, i meant to say non rent control, forgot the non part thank you !!

Comment

The way my attorney tells me about raising rent in California is this...if the tenant has been there over a year, a 60 day notice of an increase in rent is required, AND rent can only be raised by a maximum of 10% per year...this gives the flexibility of raising the rent by 5% every 6 months with the proper notice. If the tenant has been there less than a year, then a 30 day notice suffices. This is not for rent controlled areas of Calif. Please check your info if you are in Calif so you can have the most accurate and up to date specifics. If you have questions, many real estate attorneys offer a free 30-minute consultation and you could get your questions answered specific to your location.

Comment

Originally posted by CA rent raise View Post
              The way my attorney tells me about raising rent in California is this...if the tenant has been there over a year, a 60 day notice of an increase in rent is required, AND rent can only be raised by a maximum of 10% per year...this gives the flexibility of raising the rent by 5% every 6 months with the proper notice. If the tenant has been there less than a year, then a 30 day notice suffices. This is not for rent controlled areas of Calif. Please check your info if you are in Calif so you can have the most accurate and up to date specifics. If you have questions, many real estate attorneys offer a free 30-minute consultation and you could get your questions answered specific to your location.
              Again, incorrect information. And once again, all of this discussion of rent increase amounts and notice requirements may be moot if the poster does not live in California. (I DO live in California, so I am quite familiar with the amount of allowable increases and notice requirements that apply here.)

Let's not put the cart before the horse. We need to hear from OP first as to where they live before we can provide any further RELEVANT information here.
              "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
              "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
              "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X