Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punished at school for using the bathroom for to long

My daughter is being punished excessively at school. She says one teacher yells at her almost everyday for unjustified reasons. Today she was even given detention and was yelled at for using the bathroom for to long; and she had left home this morning with stomach complaints. Is this grounds for a lawsuit against the school or the teacher who's harassing her?

Re: Punished at school for using the bathroom for to long

I wish to inform you that you may give a written notice to the teacher and the school district. If they do not resolve the matter, then you may file a lawsuit. You may claim attorney’s fees, costs, interest, and unspecified punitive damages. The burden to prove the allegations will be on you. Some fellow students may give evidence in her favor. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by DesiredReality View Post
      My daughter is being punished excessively at school. She says one teacher yells at her almost everyday for unjustified reasons. Today she was even given detention and was yelled at for using the bathroom for to long; and she had left home this morning with stomach complaints. Is this grounds for a lawsuit against the school or the teacher who's harassing her?
      Are you sure this is harassment?

Does your daughter have a history of misbehavior at school, such as acting out, getting in trouble, talking in class, or talking back to the teacher? Has she been disciplined for other behavioral issues before?

There are a lot of parents out there whose kids tell them that the teachers are mean and pick on them, when in reality, the kids are misbehaving and figure that if they complain enough to their parents, then can make them stop. The fact is that most teachers have better things to do than to pick on one specific child and target them for harassment. More often than not, where there's smoke, there's fire. Where your child claims she's being singled out, she may well be receiving all that extra attention because she has earned it.

As for giving your daughter detention for spending too much time in the bathroom, did you happen to notify the school staff that day that she was feeling ill? If not, and the child has a habit of making up excuses for leaving class (going to the bathroom frequently and spending a long time there is a very common excuse kids give), then the teacher may well have been justified in disciplining her for doing this. And honestly, if the teacher didn't know your child had a valid reason for spending that much time in the bathroom, then what else was she to think?

I suggest that you schedule a conference with the principal and teacher to discuss your daughter's behavior in class. You may find that there's a lot more going on than you realize. Don't be so quick to find fault with the teacher and look for a lawsuit lottery out of something that may well be just as much your child's fault as the school's.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by DesiredReality View Post
        Before launching off to file suit, schedule a meeting with the principal AND if necessary, a follow up with both the teacher and principal.

Have a list of specific dates and times your daughter reported she was being yelled at, what was said, and the reason for detention as given by your daughter. Having 'stomach' complaints is very real to your daughter, a sign of distress that has to end, one way or another.

Filing suit at this point in time is premature, in my opinion. For all you know, there may have been complaints against this teacher from other parents.

Until you have all the facts -- both sides -- talking lawsuit seems very premature to me.

If you do not get satisfaction from your meeting with the principal,then write the School Board with your grievance. One way or another,you should get results.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X