•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disagreeable
    replied
    Re: School cell phone confiscation in PA

Your hostility is somewhat moot as our beloved Moderator passed well over a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied

I don't know why any of you use this forum when the moderator is clearly acting confrontational and insulting. Who would trust this person's advice? I can guarantee I will not look back on this forum after posting this and neither should anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied

Probably he/she is not a parent. I completely agree on what you are saying. For me is a safety issue too

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    The school isn't necessarily keeping it, but instead is holding the phone until the end of the school year, at which time it will be returned to the parent. You do realize that emergencies could be an issue with school keeping the phone until the end of the year and way back in the day everyone survived without cell phones but back then there were pay phones EVERYWHERE! How many pay phones are left?

]

Leave a comment:

• goddessoflubboc
    replied

What's left of it after TLO you mean.

Leave a comment:

• BOR
    replied

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
    No I didn't, and my mention of search was in response to someone mad that their child's phone was taken up but not another's. That's at the schools discretion.

As an aside, the Supreme Court has chipped away steadily at 1st and 4th amendment rights of students.
    "Maybe", the 1st, but the 4th has remained intact since TLO.

Leave a comment:

• goddessoflubboc
    replied
    Originally posted by BOR View Post
    You saying search without RS?
    No I didn't, and my mention of search was in response to someone mad that their child's phone was taken up but not another's. That's at the schools discretion.

As an aside, the Supreme Court has chipped away steadily at 1st and 4th amendment rights of students.

Leave a comment:

• BOR
    replied

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
    Just as they may search one child's locker and not another's, they may take up one child's phone and not another's.
    You saying search without RS?

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied

I completely understand the need for rules and punishment for cell phone use in school. I am not here to get a lecture on why children should not have cell phones. I have my own reasons for getting my child a cell phone. My child has had her phone taken up twice and the fines have come out of her allowance, along with other privileges being taken away. However our district policy states that the third time the phone is taken up they keep the phone and dispose of it as they see fit. I don't see how this can be legal. Wouldn't teachers just take up phones for any reason so they can have their own? There is too much potential for abuse of this policy. Again, I have no problem with fines or confiscation of the phone, but keeping it forever? Just doesn't seem right.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does a layer cost as much as a lawyer?
    Some people provide the layer for free.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied

Does a layer cost as much as a lawyer?

Leave a comment:

• sandyclaus
    replied

I understand the school's right to remove distracting devices from the classrooms, however, who is responsible for the device if it is damaged/lost/stolen while in the possession of the school staff?
    It seems to me that if the school (the government) takes someones property, they are required to compensate the owner. Also, seems that loss of use should also be covered.
    The school takes care of the property until it's returned to the parents at the end of the school year. If it does get lost, damaged, or stolen as a result of negligence by school staff, of course, the school will be responsible for the damages.

As for loss of use, that is the consequence of improperly using the phone in the first place. You can't sue the cell provider for loss of use when a phone is lost, damaged, or stolen.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied

I understand the school's right to remove distracting devices from the classrooms, however, who is responsible for the device if it is damaged/lost/stolen while in the possession of the school staff?
    It seems to me that if the school (the government) takes someones property, they are required to compensate the owner. Also, seems that loss of use should also be covered.

Leave a comment:

• sandyclaus
    replied

well what if the teacher discriminated them by taking their phone but not some one elses the school has no right to keep it and if they dont give it back to my child i will take a layer in to my situation for discrimination and theft
    There's discrimination, and then there's ILLEGAL discrimination. Perhaps your child is a repeat offender with particular disregard and disrespect for the rules against cell phone use at school.

Take your "layer" (sic) but don't expect to get the phone back upon demand.

the school dosent have a right to keep it do they
    The school isn't necessarily keeping it, but instead is holding the phone until the end of the school year, at which time it will be returned to the parent.

And yes, the school rules and policies DO allow them to do this.

Bottom line is that if you are more interested in protecting the child than teaching them how to be responsible with that cell phone, that is exactly why the rule was enacted, and why it's upheld time and time again.

Leave a comment:

• goddessoflubboc
    replied
    they can not keep it with out permissioun can they that is stealing
    Schools are not a republic or a democracy. At best, they are a functional dictatorship.

If you READ the school booklet given at the beginning of the year, it outlines behaviors and consequences. Just as they may search one child's locker and not another's, they may take up one child's phone and not another's.

Your child would do well to learn about actions and consequences instead of blaming everyone else for his misstep.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X