X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad used car sale!

Iowa
    My son bought a Ford Fusion " as is" so no warranty w 115,000 miles on it from a used dealership. He traded his 2007 Nissan Altima that had over 200,000 miles on it for $9,000. He received $400 towards his down payment for the car. He also put $250 cash down as well. His payments are $325 a month and on the 9th of August he was making his 3rd payment. His wife and him have no credit so their only option for a vehicle was to start at a used dealership. 2 days ago while driving home from work the car made a loud noise and then just stopped. There were no prior issues with the car until then, He works as a pizza delivery driver so he drives the vehicle everyday. He called the dealership and they immediately went and towed the vehicle back to the dealership. Today the dealership called my son and said that it will cast him $4,400 to replace the motor and they want $2,200 down before they will fix it. They also advised that the vehicle was " used and abused" because of the miles put on the vehicle in the 3 months that he had it. He advised them that he drives for a living and they knew that before he purchased the vehicle. My question is, can he tell them to just keep the car? What are his options ? My son is worried about his credit or that they will sue him for the $9000 and the $4400 to fix the car? Is that something that could happen?

I wish to inform you that your son is liable for $9,000 which is purchase price of car as he has purchased this car. As regards $4,400 for repair as the car is not yet repaired thus your son is at present not liable for that amount. At present dealership had provided an estimation of expenses and thus your son has only obtained quotation. Your son may therefore not be liable for $4,400 till the time he does not opt for its repair and the same is not yet performed by dealership.

AFF

Comment

Your son owns a car. Your son owes what is left on the loan.

Your son is correct in being "worried about his credit or that they will sue him for the $9000 ..." because that is exactly what they will do. In fact, it may be more.

Until your son actually authorizes the work and the work is done he doesn't owe the $4400.
      Last edited by PayrollHRGuy; 09-11-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

can he tell them to just keep the car?
        You mean "and not have to pay the loan payments"? Sure. Then the lender will sell the car for scrap and your son will still owe almost $9000, a debt that will follow him around for years.

What are his options ?
        1 - Get the car fixed.
        2 - Have the car towed home (to avoid storage charges) and let it sit until he comes up with the money to fix it.

I'm not seeing any other options that make any sense. The dealer isn't obligated to anything.

My son is worried about his credit or that they will sue him for the $9000 and the $4400 to fix the car? Is that something that could happen?
        Yes, but it will be for the balance of the loan and won't include the repair cost because the lender will just sell it for scrap and apply the proceeds (not much) to the loan balance.

Comment

Oh man I feel for you. Those same kinda scummy car guys ripped me off a couple of yrs ago.

There should be tougher laws on those used car guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyre322 View Post
            Oh man I feel for you. Those same kinda scummy car guys ripped me off a couple of yrs ago.

There should be tougher laws on those used car guys.

And who exactly ripped off the OP? It is a 13-year-old car with 200K miles sold "as is". Stuff breaks.

It is the buyer who erred here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)