USAC Banner 728x90



No announcement yet.

Change a name on a Social Security card

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Change a name on a Social Security card

    I want to change my name on my social security card because of marriage, and they told me they only accept:

    "All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt."

    They require a certified copy of my marriage certificate and my green card.

    I have original copies of the marriage license, but the permanent resident card (green card) will not be copied by anyone (not even the Immigration office, they just do NOT give certified copies of the green card). The Social Security Office asks me to mail them MY ORIGINAL CARD, not guaranteeing that I will receive it back. What kind of non-sense is this? Is it legal of them to ask for my green card without sending it back? Why can't they understand I can't just send them my only document which proves my immigration status? Why can't they accept a photo copy?

    I would appreciate some clarification

  • #2
    Re: Change a name on a Social Security card

    I wish to inform you that for a legal name change you may produce your original marriage certificate or Divorce decree or Certificate of naturalization showing a new name or Court order for a name change. Other documents may be required on request. Original Green Card is not stated in the list. The provisions of SSA Publication No. 05-10513, ICN 470117, May 2012 will have jurisdiction in the matter.



    • #3
      Re: Change a name on a Social Security card

      Thanks AFFA
      but I am not "naturalized" yet, that is why I only have a green card at the moment. And I don't understand the naivety of the Social Security Office when they asked me for my green card. They even asked me if I was legal!!!!!!!!!! AFTER I told them I had a green card and military dependent ID.

      I should probably go to the legal office here on base and ask them for advice regarding this.


      • #4
        Re: Change a name on a Social Security card

        Find government form SS-5, "Application for a Social Security Card. The Application is used for name changes in the event of a change due to marriage, divorce, adoption or a legal court order. The form is also used for name corrections, as well as for first-time applications. Gather proof of your name and citizenship. The Social Security site details the necessary forms, but in general, government forms like a marriage certificate or divorce decree, or a court order for a name change, are required to change your name with Social Security. Note that you will need to submit your original documents (not copies) even if applying through the mail.


        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

        Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

        widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.