Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my mom report my tags stolen?

My mothers husband bought me a year about a year ago, everything is still in his name BUT I have the title to the car that is already signed over to me I just havnt gotten the car in my name. Well my mother decided to get mad at me and wants the plates off the car, well I just paid to renew the registration on the car and the title is signed over to me. She said if I dont give ger the plates she will report them stole. Can she do this? Since I have the title signed over to me and I just paid the renewal.? I live in Maryland.

The cars title has my name on it but I have not actually taken it to the DMV to transfer it in ny name, the papers are just signed

Re: Can my mom report my tags stolen?

Originally posted by poptart View Post
    My mothers husband bought me a year about a year ago, everything is still in his name BUT I have the title to the car that is already signed over to me I just havnt gotten the car in my name. Well my mother decided to get mad at me and wants the plates off the car, well I just paid to renew the registration on the car and the title is signed over to me. She said if I dont give ger the plates she will report them stole. Can she do this? Since I have the title signed over to me and I just paid the renewal.? I live in Maryland.
    If the vehicle has your name on the title/registration, then your mother cannot do anything to force you to hand over the plates. The vehicle would now belong to YOU, and you can tell your mother to pound sand.

If she DOES try to report the vehicle or plates stolen, you can show that the vehicle has been titled in your name. You should let her know that filing a false police report is a crime.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Based on the information you gave, yes, he can report his plates stolen. Notice I said he. As the vehicle was titled in your step-dads name and gifted to you, the plates do not qualify under law for transfer.

Plates - Plates may be transferred if the vehicle is titled: (1) in the joint names of the spouses and is being transferred to the name of either
      the husband or the wife; (2) in the name of the husband or the wife and is being transferred to the joint names of the spouses; (3) in the joint
      name of a parent and child and is transferred to the individual name of either party; (4) in the name of the individual and is transferred to the joint
      names of that individual and the individual’s parent or child; (5) in the name of an individual and is transferred to the name of a spouse, a child or
      a parent of that individual. All other gift transfers concerning family members, excluding spouses, parent and child, new plates must be purchased.
      http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-103.pdf
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by poptart View Post

The cars title has my name on it but I have not actually taken it to the DMV to transfer it in ny name, the papers are just signed
        Register the car in your name. Then tell your mother ....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X