Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia-Grandson Injured at School

My grandson was injured at school by another child and I had to take him to the emergency room. His school principal was made aware of the situation. Everything was documented, even though the other student did not get suspended or anything. Since then the hospital has sent the bills to me and I have made the principal aware of the bills and has not responded to my request for the school to pay the bills. I have written letters to her and the hospital stating that I think they should pay. I just want to know if I have a case to pursue.

Re: Virginia-Grandson Injured at School

I wish to inform you that school can be held liable for the injury because your grandson was in school and during school hours it is the duty of school authorities to take steps to protect your grandson. Further other child parent are jointly liable because guardian of a minor are liable for acts of minor. If your grandson was not at fault then you can send a notice to other party that you must be compensated for your loss otherwise you will pursue all legal actions. Liability of school arises under tort liability. If other parties refuse to pay compensation then you can file a lawsuit for recovery of compensation as well as filing of criminal complaint for injury done to your child.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by Ginagg738 View Post
      My grandson was injured at school by another child and I had to take him to the emergency room. His school principal was made aware of the situation. Everything was documented, even though the other student did not get suspended or anything. Since then the hospital has sent the bills to me and I have made the principal aware of the bills and has not responded to my request for the school to pay the bills. I have written letters to her and the hospital stating that I think they should pay. I just want to know if I have a case to pursue.
      The first parties in line to pay the damages are the kid's parents. The law holds them liable for the actions of their child. Should they refuse to cough up the money for the hospital bills, you may sue and bring the school in as third party defendants. There may be a procedure for filing a claim against the school district, first, before filing suit so that is something a lawyer should advise you of.

The hospital will not relieve you of your responsibilty to pay the bill in the interim, however, so you need to pay it and then look to the parents and, possibly the school district to reimburse.

Comment

Thank you both so very much. All I wanted them to do was the right thing. I really appreciate your help. This will help me get the started in the right direction. God Bless you all!!!

Comment

If a school violates someone's rights or causes injury or harm, the injured party can seek retribution. Meet with an attorney. Many firms offer free consultations, so even if you do not retain counsel, you can get a professional opinion about the case. An attorney will advise if you have a viable claim or not and recommend an initial course of action.

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice. I just want the school or whoever is responsible to pay the bills, that's all. Not looking to make any money at all. Again, thank you!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X