Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Responsibility Discrimination

Schools are closed in my area tomorrow. I received a text message from a superior today asking that I make arrangements for my child tomorrow so I can come into the office. I took this as very offensive for many reasons. I am positive this text message was not sent to every parent whose childs school is closed tomorrow. Is this considered discrimination and would this warrant a legal case?

Re: Family Responsibility Discrimination

No your employer has the right to call you in unless you have a contract that says otherwise. He can also fire you for not coming in

Comment

Thanks. I understand that I am expected (and should) make arrangements for my child when schools are closed. I don't think its OK that the company single me out especially with no reason to do so. I would think they would have to send that message to all employees with children, not just one.

Comment

I agree but theres no law that forbids this action

Comment

Keep in mind that you are free to refuse. Children come before work, and it's not always easy to make other arrangements for the supervising of them. If the employer fires you, you can draw unemployment.

Employers often enjoy overstepping their boundaries and blur the line between employee and indentured slave.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Keep in mind that you are free to refuse. Children come before work, and it's not always easy to make other arrangements for the supervising of them. If the employer fires you, you can draw unemployment.

Employers often enjoy overstepping their boundaries and blur the line between employee and indentured slave.
            True but does the Op really want to lose her job!? Unemployment is only a percentage of her current pay and may not pay the bills

Comment

It's up to each individual whether money is more important than groveling.

It's unreasonable for the employer to expect only one employee to come in, when she is not available.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X