Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer blaming me for something thats not my fault

I live in Australia. I have a small water filter replacement business. I recently went to a clients home to change his water filter & arrived to find him at the front door sweeping water from his home. I removed the faulty system that had burst during the night & replaced it with a new system. The system that leaked was supplied & installed by another company. I had replaced the filter in the system 12 months previous & haven’t been near the system since, until the morning of the leak. I replaced the system with a new one & have not as yet invoiced this client for the work & equipment I supplied. I have just received a phone call for the client saying that it cost him $1500 to repair his wet carpet & he now is trying to hold me responsible for the leak & for the expenses he has incurred.
    He didn’t purchase the water filter housing from me & hadn’t not been near it for 12 months. Where do I stand? I don’t feel that I’m liable & that he should claim damages against his house insurance. Is he just bluffing me? What do you suggest I say to him, I don’t want to loose a client but I also don’t want to held accountable for something that was not my fault.

Re: Customer blaming me for something thats not my fault

I wish to state that in your case you are not liable for the loss. The loss due to damage of carpet is not attributable to you as the water filter was not supplied by you. You had diligently replaced the faulty water system and for your services you can always bill the client. The loss due to damage of carpet is not attributable to your service as you were required to repair the damaged water filter which you did. In this the client can contact you only after the leakage started and you can go and repair which could be only after the leakage. Hence, you cannot be made liable for events beyond your control. Further, the reason for water filter getting faulty is also to be seen. If the client has not taken to remedy the water filter when he first noted the fault then he will be made liable. You can explain to the client that you are not at fault and it is not correct to hold you responsible for his damages. Hence, he should not make false claim against you.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X