Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Privacy laws during the DUI arrest of a relative?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy laws during the DUI arrest of a relative?

During the DUI arrest of a relative, I was charged with failure to obey a police officer. I live out of state. The day of the arrest, the arresting officer or someone from the police station realized he/she had a friend who lived in the same city I was from. With my dumb luck, the person the "officer" called/texted about my arrest actually knew me. The "officer" gave the mutual friend a blow by blow of the events that occurred during the arrests. The mutual friend then texted numerous coworkers and friends to pass along the gossip and make assumptions that hurt my character. Imagine my surprise when I walk into work over 1000 miles from where I was charged with a complaint and everyone knew about a very private incident. Is a police officer allowed to disclose this kind of information to the general public? Are there any privacy laws that restrict these actions? I'm assuming no, but I figured i'd reach out and get an educated answer.

re: Privacy laws during the DUI arrest of a relative?

It is highly unusual for a police officer to reveal all of the details of any arrest. I certainly would not want this particular police officer in charge of any murder investigation.

If he embellished the facts of the case, you might have cause of action to sue him for defamation, but the friend is who you really should focus on. It was the friend who blabbed to everyone, so it was the friend who truly defamed you.

What possible reason did the officer have to speak to this person who was your friend, 1000 miles away? That police officer had no business texting his pal to give him/her an account of the events of your arrest. Report him to his superior officer for such behavior. He did not comport himself in a professional manner, as we expect from our police officers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X