Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mailing cigarettes: Is it illegal to mail cigarettes?

I am living in Flagstaff, AZ and cigarettes are far more expensive out here then where I was currently living in Redlands, CA. If I send my friend, that lives in California, money to send me a carton. Could we do that. Also we are both of age. I went home for a weekend and took on the plane with me a carton and a hookah, didn't have any problems. So I would assume it wouldn't be a problem to mail, but I could me wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am living in Flagstaff, AZ and cigarettes are far more expensive out here then where I was currently living in Redlands, CA. If I send my friend, that lives in California, money to send me a carton. Could we do that. Also we are both of age. I went home for a weekend and took on the plane with me a carton and a hookah, didn't have any problems. So I would assume it wouldn't be a problem to mail, but I could me wrong...
      An occasional carton isn't usually the problem. However, if you plan on having them do it on a regular basis, THAT'S when it becomes an issue.

The reason that the cigarettes are more expensive where you are is likely a result of legally required taxes that must be charged for each tobacco purchase there. What you propose would not only be breaking the law by evading the statutory taxes on those tobacco purchases, but they would be sent over state lines by your friend, who would be breaking both state and federal law by not being not licensed to sell tobacco products.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
        Nice try, but I would hate to think that any of the regular members here would make suggestions to help you break the law any more than you probably have already done.

I think you just need to accept the fact that you can't ship your cheap ciggies anymore and leave it at that. If the people insist on smoking, they need to pay the price for their choice - and that includes all those outrageous taxes which, incidentally, go towards "stop smoking" programs and health costs for those smoking-related conditions.

Thank you for clearing this up! its a question ive had at the back of my mind for forever. but!

As someone who lives in NYC and smokes, the taxes on cigarettes can not possibly go towards helping people to stop smoking. The reason cigarettes cost more in New York is because people can afford it. Also, taxing the crap out of an addictive substance is an age old trick to create a more reliable income. For example, tea. It was something people loved and were psycologically addicted to. And we all jnow how that turned out.

Since I've been sitting on this bench I hve seen 3 people smoking and 2 people stoping to light up. Making it more expensive and inconvenient to smoke has not stopped anyone. However, this isn't the time, nor the place to go into that.

In all honesty, it seems a little immoral to not allow someone to mail cigarettes. Though you can't mail gasoline, it is perfectly legal, in fact foolish not to, refill your car with gas before leaving New Jersey. Cigarettes are not like fireworks. It's illegal to purchase fireworks in Pennsylvania and bring them to New York. So would it be illegal to buy cigarettes in another state and bring them,by bus, car train or plane, to another state?

Comment

Actually, in many states, mailing cigarettes is perfectly legal. The catch is you are responsible for the associated state taxes due.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

All these restrictions on our rights as people. Pay more pay more stop smoking. Excuses and more excuses without all the fancy talk they all sound like bully's .Over what now "really" a cigarette? Got to get that tax money somehow. Pick on the smokers. That's all I gotta say about that.

Comment

Shipping cigarettes to the United States is legal if they are mailed in small quantities.

Comment

sandy clause your confused and uneducated because I cannot find the smokes I smoked for 6 years in the east coast so my family offered to send me a carton it has nothing to do with prices

Comment

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
                  Nice try, but I would hate to think that any of the regular members here would make suggestions to help you break the law any more than you probably have already done.

I think you just need to accept the fact that you can't ship your cheap ciggies anymore and leave it at that. If the people insist on smoking, they need to pay the price for their choice - and that includes all those outrageous taxes which, incidentally, go towards "stop smoking" programs and health costs for those smoking-related conditions.
                  You are obviously not a smoker or an ex-smoker. If you were you would know better than to issue such drivel! In the over 50 years I have smoked I have NEVER been advised of, heard of or been approached by any government agency or program to quit smoking, modify smoking or anything else involving tobacco use. Before you squirm in your seat and get ready to pounce on your keyboard in order to issue further commentary, please understand and know that I HAVE approached every QUIT program I have ever heard of including the usual and annual SMOKE-OUTS that occur in and around my area. I have never so much as received a post card advising me of any program available in my area in order to do so. Can they or should they advise people? YES, they should! If they are going to collect my hard earned tax money and say they're using it for these purposes then perhaps...just perhaps...they might wish to ask you on any government form, license application, tax return, or any other such bureaucratic red tape piece of paper if I need help with doing so. Last year I put my name in TWICE for the NYC free quit-patches they offered. Not only did I not receive them I have never heard from them in any way, shape or form. Don't believe it? Great...get on your horse and canter over to the great NYC quit smoking site and see if you can get anything of value there that would help you to quit. You can't get so much as a coupon there to help offset the cost of these cost prohibitive products. Many of these programs have ALL my pertinent information and they do nothing! As far as health related services...of what do you speak? What are you suggesting? What issues have I ever even been asked about when visiting my physicians at any of my tri-state residences? Exactly ZERO...ZIP...NUTTIN' HONEY! It's absolute BS that the government in any way tries to help those interested in trying to quit or to even talk about quitting. They have enough money in their tax coffers to issue everyone in this country a bulletin or an alert about services offered in their respective areas for this purpose and they can do it with ease! They don't want you to quit...not really. How would they ever make up the loss in tax dollars if they did? Puhleeeeze...I don't care if you smoke, don't smoke, never smoked, always smoked, quit smoking or are patched to the gills. Whatever you do...do...but don't preach about these bogus programs concerning quitting and/or health services. I've been pro-active at times...many times through these last four years but where are they? Counting their revenues I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuklapolitan View Post
                    You are obviously not a smoker or an ex-smoker. If you were you would know better than to issue such drivel! In the over 50 years I have smoked I have NEVER been advised of, heard of or been approached by any government agency or program to quit smoking, modify smoking or anything else involving tobacco use. Before you squirm in your seat and get ready to pounce on your keyboard in order to issue further commentary, please understand and know that I HAVE approached every QUIT program I have ever heard of including the usual and annual SMOKE-OUTS that occur in and around my area. I have never so much as received a post card advising me of any program available in my area in order to do so. Can they or should they advise people? YES, they should! If they are going to collect my hard earned tax money and say they're using it for these purposes then perhaps...just perhaps...they might wish to ask you on any government form, license application, tax return, or any other such bureaucratic red tape piece of paper if I need help with doing so. Last year I put my name in TWICE for the NYC free quit-patches they offered. Not only did I not receive them I have never heard from them in any way, shape or form. Don't believe it? Great...get on your horse and canter over to the great NYC quit smoking site and see if you can get anything of value there that would help you to quit. You can't get so much as a coupon there to help offset the cost of these cost prohibitive products. Many of these programs have ALL my pertinent information and they do nothing! As far as health related services...of what do you speak? What are you suggesting? What issues have I ever even been asked about when visiting my physicians at any of my tri-state residences? Exactly ZERO...ZIP...NUTTIN' HONEY! It's absolute BS that the government in any way tries to help those interested in trying to quit or to even talk about quitting. They have enough money in their tax coffers to issue everyone in this country a bulletin or an alert about services offered in their respective areas for this purpose and they can do it with ease! They don't want you to quit...not really. How would they ever make up the loss in tax dollars if they did? Puhleeeeze...I don't care if you smoke, don't smoke, never smoked, always smoked, quit smoking or are patched to the gills. Whatever you do...do...but don't preach about these bogus programs concerning quitting and/or health services. I've been pro-active at times...many times through these last four years but where are they? Counting their revenues I suppose!
                    Thanks for the rant. No, I'm not a smoker and never have been, and YES, I have friends and family who were smokers and who have successfully quit.

You seem to be complaining that no one is helping you to quit. The programs are out there. You are already aware of them, and apparently have already availed yourself of them. From what you say, you are expecting EVERYONE ELSE to be the ones to come to YOU and do everything for YOU to help you to quit. Honestly? If you were serious about quitting, then you would be far more pro-active about it. Instead of waiting for others to approach you or to come to you, you need to take the steps YOURSELF to quit. You started smoking on your own, and you're going to have to take personal responsibility for yourself to be successful at quitting.

Here's a site, sponsored by those so-called money-grubbing bureaucrats designed to help YOU seek the resources you need in order to quit. YOU need to be the one to go and get them. No one is going to do this for you.

NYC Quits - Learn, Log, Quit
                    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
                    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
                    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuklapolitan View Post
                      I concur with you completely! Possessing a reasonable amount of cigarettes for one's own use then traveling between states is not a crime in any jurisdiction in the U.S.

People often will pick up a carton or two of their favorite brand from border states with less tobacco tax and it is not a crime. A perfect example is New York-New Jersey or New Jersey-Pennsylvania. The disparity in prices is enough incentive for people to travel a few miles.

Prosecution is only instituted when one transports enough that it is obvious they are for resale.

PS: Alcohol which does far more damage to non imbibers, DUI crashes and deaths, fiscal irresponsibility, wrecked families, lost time and productivity at the workplace, bar fights, hefty medical bills for liver transplants, coronary disease, premature deaths is legal as hell. Not since Carrie Nation has anyone lodged a campaign against alcohol. Alcoholism used to be called "the loathsome disease" and from its effects an alcoholic is said to impact at least 28 people adversely.

In my opinion those who spend so much effort trying to control other people's lives may well be avoiding taking care of issues in their own.

Comment

I think it is crime sending cigarettes through mail.

Comment

It is not illegal to mail cigarettes. The Postal Service is revising the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) 503.9 and 601.11 to permit the mailing of cigarettes. The rule established eligibility requirements under which shipments of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco could be sent via U.S. mail under the PACT Act. So I think the rule will also applicable to you also. Then there is no banning on mail cigarettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            Question, how would they find out if you didnt meet any of the exceptions, and just dropped a priority box with cigs in the bin instead of ****ing with protocol? What is the likelihood? How do they scan? Ive looked for this info everywhere but have not found anything i'd see as credible :/ HELPPP
                            I have been sent cigarettes from Florida to Connecticut for a year now and it is fine. As long as I sign for the package and I'm over 18 it is ok. ☺ there are many exceptions to the law.

Comment

There are actually very few exceptions and it is mostly illegal to send cigarettes and smokeless tobacco via USPS.

https://www.usps.com/send/tobacco-restrictions.htm?

Comment

Sandyclaus...You are the kind of person that does nothing but hide behind your dislike of something in order to issue your particular brand of shaming, finger wagging and tsk tsk'ing! You remind me of an 8 year old girl who, in an adolescent show of victory, gleefully yells...Na, Na, Na, Na, Na after someone they don't like when they fall short or fail at something...and believe me, YOU don't like a lot of things...chief among them, smokers! You actually get a thrill out of telling someone they won't be able to mail their "cheapie" cigarettes to friends and relations anymore and they'll just have to pay the high price of purchase if they wish to go on with their filthy habit! You're a lecturer, a posturing know-it-all and a general pain in the butt busy body! You can't hide your selfish motives long enough to offer sound advice to anyone concerning cigarettes. You'll twist and turn things so you can issue yet another rant on the same old and tired message. One such as yourself will never understand what anyone is asking, saying or trying to get across because you have your own little agenda and you rather adore editorializing. You'd rather listen to yourself expound on the pitfalls of anything rather than understand the plight or the opinion of another. It should have been and actually was, patently obvious that I was responding to what you said about revenues going to fund the programs you mentioned. After I replied to that statement, whether or not I looked for them, wanted to avail myself of them or agreed with them was no longer the issue and yet, that's exactly where you went...again! As I have already stated..you are amazingly clueless. Oh! I beg your pardon...I actually hadn't stated that! Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa! Then...without further ado, let me state it now... You are amazingly clueless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X