Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to register at the state level for 501c(3)???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to register at the state level for 501c(3)???

My husband is active duty military. We are currently stationed in Texas, but originally from Minnesota.
    I'm starting the process to register my organization as a 501c(3), but I'm not sure which state to register with. Our taxes are done through Minnesota, but his name will not be associated with the organization.
    I want to make sure I file with the correct state, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Where to register at the state level for 501c(3)???

If you want a non profit in Texas you must file with the state there to establish it. You must also file with the IRS.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I wish to inform you that you may contact the corporations division in Texas. You may reserve your non profit's name and then file the Articles of Association and obtain a federal employer identification number. You may apply for recognition of tax-exempt public charity status with both the State and the IRS.

AFF

Comment

I face the same issue but frankly you could pick either one.

You just have to decide which state you want to deal with going forward.
        If you are going back to MN you can establish there still if you wish.

I making that same choice right now, but trying to see which is slightly more favorable for taxes and bureaucracy. Choosing between MI and FL.

Comment

Well and of course many people choose to incorporate in Delaware regardless of where they live.

The state has very "easy to deal with" corporate and nonprofit laws.

You can see much discussion of that if you search the forum here.

Comment

Delaware is always my first choice!

Comment

Originally posted by armywife2013 View Post
              My husband is active duty military. We are currently stationed in Texas, but originally from Minnesota.
              I'm starting the process to register my organization as a 501c(3), but I'm not sure which state to register with. Our taxes are done through Minnesota, but his name will not be associated with the organization.
              I want to make sure I file with the correct state, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I see the various comments above which helpful but, in that kind of situation, could it be a state other than TX or MN?
              Does one have to live where the nonprofit is registered?

Comment

Thank you

Start where you will reside and where you can deal with local officials most easily.
                You may have to guess a bit about your schedule if you move a lot.

Comment

File in the state you reside is my advice,
                  but if that is a problem for any reason then choose Delaware
                  which always has good corp law for nonprofits and regular corps.

Comment

Thank you
                    As with anything where governing bodies oversee states, you will have some states that are more relaxed with regulations and other states where things are incredibly tight and regulated. Two of the most difficult states to start a nonprofit in are New York and California. They are the most heavily regulated when it comes to nonprofit organizations.

On the flip side, Arizona, Delaware, Nevada and Wisconsin are great states for starting nonprofits as they tend to have the fewer regulations, making it slightly easier to get your nonprofit up and running.

The Texas Secretary of State charges $25 to incorporate Texas nonprofits, plus a 2.7% convenience fee if you file online and pay with a credit card. You can also pay an additional $25 expedite fee to get your mailed filing processed around 2 business days. There is no expedite fee for online filings. Texas nonprofit filing times vary depending on your filing method. Online filings usually get approved within 2 business days. If you file by mail, you can expect a response in around 5-7 business days unless you pay the additional $25 expedite fee. Texas nonprofits pay federal and state taxes unless they apply separately for exemptions from the IRS and the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Unlike some states, however, Texas does not require nonprofits to obtain federal tax-exempt status to apply for state tax exemptions.

Minnesota charges $70 if you mail in your nonprofit’s Articles of Incorporation. If you’d rather file online or in person, the fee is $90 (which includes an automatic expedite fee). The standard processing time for mailed filings in Minnesota is around 1-2 weeks. Submit online, and the processing drops to 2 business days. Nonprofits that manage to obtain federal tax-exempt status are automatically exempt from Minnesota’s income tax. However, you will still need to apply for sales and property tax exemptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexus View Post

As with anything where governing bodies oversee states, you will have some states that are more relaxed with regulations and other states where things are incredibly tight and regulated. Two of the most difficult states to start a nonprofit in are New York and California. They are the most heavily regulated when it comes to nonprofit organizations.

On the flip side, Arizona, Delaware, Nevada and Wisconsin are great states for starting nonprofits as they tend to have the fewer regulations, making it slightly easier to get your nonprofit up and running.

The Texas Secretary of State charges $25 to incorporate Texas nonprofits, plus a 2.7% convenience fee if you file online and pay with a credit card. You can also pay an additional $25 expedite fee to get your mailed filing processed around 2 business days. There is no expedite fee for online filings. Texas nonprofit filing times vary depending on your filing method. Online filings usually get approved within 2 business days. If you file by mail, you can expect a response in around 5-7 business days unless you pay the additional $25 expedite fee. Texas nonprofits pay federal and state taxes unless they apply separately for exemptions from the IRS and the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Unlike some states, however, Texas does not require nonprofits to obtain federal tax-exempt status to apply for state tax exemptions.

Minnesota charges $70 if you mail in your nonprofit’s Articles of Incorporation. If you’d rather file online or in person, the fee is $90 (which includes an automatic expedite fee). The standard processing time for mailed filings in Minnesota is around 1-2 weeks. Submit online, and the processing drops to 2 business days. Nonprofits that manage to obtain federal tax-exempt status are automatically exempt from Minnesota’s income tax. However, you will still need to apply for sales and property tax exemptions.
                      Personally I would always go with Delaware for nonprofits and regular corps, you cannot go wrong.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X